Here they are.. The real definition of Sticks in pots.

TheBearded

Sapling
Reaction score
IMAG0078.jpgJudyB suggested that I post some pics since I have been able to keep these Weeds alive. In the past I have watched trees die pretty fast. This is new to me. The Juniper looks pretty pittiful I got it for $2 almost dead but look at the new growth! The little Ficus are from cuttings I took from a friends tree.

IMAG0073.jpgIMAG0074.jpgIMAG0075.jpgIMAG0076.jpg

Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Yours will be fine with several years of growing out. This can get frustrating. Let me encourage you to do one thing that I have started doing... I check the nurseries for clearance sales and I also haggle with them when I find broken and half dead stuff. I will post a video of a recent $5.00 Juni I just bought. It is in a 5 gal pot and has approx a 2" trunk. I just don't buy anything unless it is deeply discounted and pretty big already.

[video=youtube_share;JZrIk7FJz1Y]http://youtu.be/JZrIk7FJz1Y[/video]

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The Juniper's outdoors right, and not in with the other indoor trees, right?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Your rain tree has a nice beginning on shape. You can probably put it in a larger pot to grow it out, and get some size on it. I would look into a better draining soil for it when you do. Can I ask why you have 2 plants in the same pot? It'll be hard to separate them once they grow larger...

Oh, and love the thread title!:D

TheBearded

Sapling
Reaction score
Milehigh: Thats a good idea I will start doing it. I am still in the mode where I will take anything for practice though.

Redwood Ryan: No its indoors. I have alot of light for it. The author of this article http://www.bonsaihunk.us/WikleArticle.html has grown them indoors for 20 years. I figure I will try it indoors and if it does not work I wont grow Junipers. I can not grow anything outdoors that I care about. I tried to grow a tomato outdoors and someone stole my tomatoes!

Daygan: Yes they are indoors. I have 6 4ft shop lights 36,000 lumins all togeather on for 16 hours a day. Planing on some brighter lights if I continue to have success.

JudyB: That "rain tree" is a Texas Ebony they look almost identicle. The Texas Ebony is superior though because is from Texas! The soil is 50% grit and drains pretty fast. The two Ficus I had not thought of them being hard to seperate, I will dig one up and put it in another pot. Ahh thanks I thought pretty hard on the title!

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the article that TheBearded linked, he does say

And, in spite of the "common knowledge" that junipers cannot survive indoors with no outdoor vacations, I have two that have both grown relying solely on cool white fluorescent light --- on sixteen hours a day --- for more than twenty years.

So it sounds like he does junipers indoors as well.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yeah, but Jack has been doing this for years and has learned from trial and error. The Juniper the poster has is probably very weak due to it's haircut and may struggle. A healthy Juniper would stand a better chance indoors.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
It's not a matter of "can vs. can't" live indoors it is a matter of how much work and money are you willing to put in to getting a setup that will work and how many trees you are willing to lose learning. It has been done so it's possible. Is it the best way??? Likely not.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"So it sounds like he does junipers indoors as well."

And, and Ryan said, Jack has been doing bonsai for longer than twenty years. He's not a beginner. Keeping a juniper alive OUTSIDE can be a tall order for those just starting out. Indoor care for them complicates things greatly for those just starting out.

Top Bottom