Here ya go tropical lovers....

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Harry.

I wonder if the winning bidder will also receive a year's worth of chiropractor sessions?

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Harry.

I wonder if the winning bidder will also receive a year's worth of chiropractor sessions?

Read the small print, I believe they come with a fork lift............:D

keep it green,
Harry

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely a legitimate offer. Guy Guidry (the seller) is a well-known bonsaiist that sells pretty high end trees. I've bought trees from him--although nothing of this caliber or caliper :D. He sells very good stuff.

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Definitely a legitimate offer. Guy Guidry (the seller) is a well-known bonsaiist that sells pretty high end trees. I've bought trees from him--although nothing of this caliber or caliper :D. He sells very good stuff.

I have bought a couple maples from them. Very nice people, and easy to talk to about their trees.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are tropicals really all that great? I mean really...come on....compared to a maple or pine?
:D I'm just giving the tropical lovers a hard time.....:D

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tropicals of this scale are great trees--if you have the resources to keep them outside the tropics or Southern US. Tropicals kept inside in Northern climates are a pain and tend to be wimpy "wannabe" bonsai--unless you have a greenhouse.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a chance the pot of some of these may be worth $300-$400 itself. It is important to factor in cost of the pot.

-Dave

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I wouldn't pay more than 3 or 400$ for any of them. They don't look very refined at all.'

The degree of refinement is subjective. Sheer size and accompanying trunk maturity alone places these well above the $500 level at any bonsai nursery, probably above $1,000 if you can locate stock this big and developed. That scarcity adds a couple hundred bucks more to the bottom line...These trees are well past the raw stock chop and grow stage--requiring primarily development of tertiary branching and increased ramification) and some root work--basically a rehabilitation exercise, not scratch development. The bones are there...

It is not a huge step from this kind of material to a finished tropical. They're certainly not in the realm of these trees:
http://www.jimsmithbonsai.com/Catalog/catalog_page_1.htm

but they're steps away from the same neighborhood in capable hands.

BonsaiSteve

Seedling
Reaction score

I've seen a demo from Guy before, he is actually coming to Massachusetts for another demo if you're in the area.

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/news.html#events

Great, enthusiastic Guy (pun intended!) who knows a lot about bonsai and horticulture in general.

I would definitely pay upwards of 3-400$ for any of those.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think for me ficus make inferior bonsai no matter the girth, size, or ramification. There is just something about them that is inferior. So for my taste I would tend to agree with noissee.

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Ryan,

Wrong, ficus are not inferior bonsai, especially the narrow leaf variety. I have purchased many bonsai from guy and they are all beautiful from ficus to maples:p.

Art

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan,

Wrong, ficus are not inferior bonsai, especially the narrow leaf variety. I have purchased many bonsai from guy and they are all beautiful from ficus to maples:p.

Art

Oh sorry, I didn't know my tastes could be "wrong":rolleyes: If you go back and read my post I was simply sharing my taste in bonsai and the reason why I don't think these trees are worth the price. Bonsai are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. I'd never be willing to pay for a ficus as much as these trees are going for....I don't care who is selling them are has designed them.

Next time though I'll try to get it "right" with my tastes....LOL

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't understand the bias against these trees. The pots are certainly not worth as much or more than the trees. The pots are Chinese and not hugely expensive in their own right.

The stock here is hardly "inferior" by any standard. What would you say if the species were temperate--maple, elm, etc.?

While not cheap, for the material, the asking price isn't out of line, IMO. I wouldn't get into a bidding war over them, though.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dont work with tropicals because I don't really have the space or inclination to have a proper indoor setup (plus we have a cat who thinks she is a vegetarian).

Ryan, nothing wrong with having an opinion. The pictures of these trees might not do much for you. While I don't particularly like the typical ficus sticks in pots that you see out there, if I did have the inclination to do tropicals, I think these trees would be what I was looking for. They remind me of the grand old ficus trees in Australia, with huge trunks and wide canopies. They were really impressive. If I did do tropicals, I would love a big ficus to model it after the incredible trees I remember from Australia. However, I don't think I would say that had I not visited Australia a few years ago.

I think many of us have affinities for particular species of trees that are developed in large part from our memories and experiences.

Top Bottom