Hey! Buy my best trees!!!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still interested in the Larch. How much ?

Are you local - I'm not shipping trees. The J. Larch is a favorite, crafted with love and skill over a decade or more into a tree of truly great character and beauty. I look at it for hours on end, even - or especially - in the winter. I think $500 is a fair price for it, certainly not less than $450 .... Let me know .... G52

As I indicated over a month ago, I might be interested in your Japanese Larch. Could you please let me know what you are asking for it ?

Jo53ph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you have any trident maple ? If so pm me I am interested also any Shohin size tree I might be interested in if you have any plz let me know.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey, VP999!

LOL!!! I grew up in Kensington, Maryland!!! I spent much of my younger years in Rockbridge County, VA, and on the Outer Banks in North Carolina.

Back there, travel is measured in relatively short distances ... and life feels more confined.

Out West here, the distances are vast, and we never feel confined. Traveling a thousand miles or more to go hunting for trees is simply an exciting fact of life! I've traveled up north or out east into the Rockies with Dan Robinson - for a thousand miles or more - on a number of occasions. A bonsai enthusiast just drove up from San Diego for a single one of my trees!!! It would likely be the trip of your lifetime, VP999, coming on out here into the vast vastness, to buy a few of my remaining trees! Let me know if you're coming!

Grouper52

I hear you Will...If I was single with no responsibilities and kids, I would make that trip in a heart beat, but then again, if I was in those situations I wouldn't have the money to buy the trees 😁 . When you first posted about your trees, I seriously thought about contacting you about a deal to buy every single one of them and pay some one to take a trip for me or have it picked up by the shippers from Uship.com. But since everyone here wants them also I realized it wasn't going to come to fruition. This would be a coast to coast trip (MD -Wash) and would take a week to complete and I just don't have the time for it right now. Tommy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Throwing this out there. Are there any bonsai nurseries near you Will? That would be willing to bundle a tree at a fee? I know I bought a tree from someone gosh years back and they did that. I paid for the labor of the nursery to ship the tree and package it as additional fees. Possibly an option to those on the forum so we can continue to watch the trees develop and grow. 🤷 Was just thinking about that this morning. Under the stipulation their zone is friendly enough to also add health to the tree. Of course.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@grouper52 you are certainly lucky to have seen Kailas. Did you walk around the mountain? It was my father's dream to do that with me but he passed away before we could do that. Peace be with you wherever life takes you.

Mayank! Cleaning out old boxes of stuff today, I ran across my copies of photos that the American woman in our group took of the pilgrimage to Kailas. We were there mid-September 1990. Thought you might enjoy seeing them.

IMG_0272.jpeg
IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpeg

BTW - you'll note that there's not a lot of bonsai happening there!

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Mayank! Cleaning out old boxes of stuff today, I ran across my copies of photos that the American woman in our group took of the pilgrimage to Kailas. We were there mid-September 1990. Thought you might enjoy seeing them.

View attachment 281065
View attachment 281066

View attachment 281067

Wow the photos really make me want to quit everything and just head for the Himalayas! Fabulous photos!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So, I now have only 6 trees left, and only for local pick-up - here they are:

1. Threadbranch False Cypress.
2. Vine Maple.
3. Katsura.
4. Japanese Larch.
5. Corkbark Chinese Elm.

If anyone is interested in coming by to see them or pick them up, send me a message.... :)

Hey Will,
Long time fan of your work and general sensibilities, sorry for your troubles, doesn't seem fair considering how much you've given to others.

Sent you a PM a few weeks back expressing interest in the vine maple and or the katsura, would love to be allowed to be the next caretaker of any of your trees.

I'm 2-1/2 hrs away, my daughter actually lives in Bremerton.

Check your PM for my phone number if you'd like to discuss my qualifications/suitability.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score

Waldo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Are you local - I'm not shipping trees. The J. Larch is a favorite, crafted with love and skill over a decade or more into a tree of truly great character and beauty. I look at it for hours on end, even - or especially - in the winter. I think $500 is a fair price for it, certainly not less than $450 .... Let me know .... G52
I am in IL. I would love to take the Larch off your hands. Shipping is not difficult. I have received several trees that arrived in great shape. the seller got a sturdy carton. cut a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 plywood to the size of the bottom, inside of the box. laid a moist paper towel over the gravel. wrapped the pot to the plywood with plastic wrap. As the tree is lowered into the box paper is packed loosly between and around the branches . Put a few labels on, "this Side up" Used Speedee shipping service. They do a great job. Whadaya think ?? $450 plus your packing and shipping ?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 281065
View attachment 281066

View attachment 281067

Great! I consider you very fortunate to have done that trip.

I once had a good view of Kailas. Purely accidental, we were in a very remote area in Northeast Nepal, fall of 1992 I think. Headed into an area for which a special permit was required. Not having the permit we decided to go up and over a mountain ridge rather than follow the valley trail where our map showed a police checkpoint. It turned out to be quite an adventure to put it mildly but when we crested that ridge...Boom, there is this vast plateau with Kailas right there, long distance but unobstructed view. We had no idea it would be possible to view it from there but it was quite unmistakable and a moment I will never forget.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Will,
Long time fan of your work and general sensibilities, sorry for your troubles, doesn't seem fair considering how much you've given to others.

Sent you a PM a few weeks back expressing interest in the vine maple and or the katsura, would love to be allowed to be the next caretaker of any of your trees.

I'm 2-1/2 hrs away, my daughter actually lives in Bremerton.

Check your PM for my phone number if you'd like to discuss my qualifications/suitability.

Thanks, Mike. I'll contact you - someone from the east coast is interested in buying them all and having them professionally shipped, but Ive always been clear that local pick is safer, and still one I would prefer. I'll get back to you.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I once had a good view of Kailas. Purely accidental, we were in a very remote area in Northeast Nepal, fall of 1992 I think. Headed into an area for which a special permit was required. Not having the permit we decided to go up and over a mountain ridge rather than follow the valley trail where our map showed a police checkpoint. It turned out to be quite an adventure to put it mildly but when we crested that ridge...Boom, there is this vast plateau with Kailas right there, long distance but unobstructed view. We had no idea it would be possible to view it from there but it was quite unmistakable and a moment I will never forget.

Yes!! Glad you saw it! Even just a glimpse like that is highly auspicious! Much of the trip out to Kailas and back we had an unobstructed view of the Himalayas to the south, rising up miles high across that same vast plateau!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Yo
Wow the photos really make me want to quit everything and just head for the Himalayas! Fabulous photos!
I think you may know, Mayank, how these things work ... after a life-changing opening of the spiritual flood-gates in a bare, unfurnished studio apartment between my 2nd and 3rd years of medical school at Vanderbilt when my life fell apart - (a fascinating story in itself, but long in the telling as such things are) - I found my way to Gurumayi Chidvilasananda - Muktananda's disciple - who initiated me, during my psychiatric residency training in Hawaii, into Shaivite Hinduism by bestowing Shaktipat. A few years later at an evening of meditation and chanting at the home of some devotees in Albuquerque, I saw a photo of Mount Kailas on their refrigerator! I had no idea what it was, but I knew immediately that I had to go there! I found out that it was the most sacred place on earth for four different religions: Shaivite Hinduism, Jainism, Tibetan Buddhism and Tibet's pre-Buddhist Bon religion. I also recall reading that it was very common for a person to go there firmly established in one of those religions, only to come back firmly in another, Kailas having put them on their proper path for this life. I never felt any need nor any push to abandon my Shaivite roots, and I still honor them and Gurumayi, but my experiences there were undeniably those of Vajrayana and Dzogchen Tibetan Buddhism, and I have practiced a harmonious and powerful blend of all three of those ever since. Interestingly as well, but not surprising when I think about it, there has never been even the smallest urge to go there again - as they say, "once you get the message, you can hang up the phone". Go. Go to Kailas, and go in this lifetime, Mayank, and go with your father in your mind. Will/G52

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, Guys and Gals! I gotta move these trees soon, so I I can clean up the veranda they're on before moving out of my current digs in the next few weeks. It's first come first served now: If you're local, come by this weekend and get what you want. If you're wanting them sent or shipped, get the arrangements made ASAP, please. Worse comes to worse, I give them to some friends here, but several of you have already expressed interest so I'm waiting for that interest to take form - let me know!!! G52

Waldo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Hey, Guys and Gals! I gotta move these trees soon, so I I can clean up the veranda they're on before moving out of my current digs in the next few weeks. It's first come first served now: If you're local, come by this weekend and get what you want. If you're wanting them sent or shipped, get the arrangements made ASAP, please. Worse comes to worse, I give them to some friends here, but several of you have already expressed interest so I'm waiting for that interest to take form - let me know!!! G52
If you do PayPal, send me an invoice for the Larch. th@ancientoaksarabians.com. $450 plush shipping ?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have you decided then where you will land? I hope you will stay in touch, at least on the ether if nothing else.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you do PayPal, send me an invoice for the Larch. th@ancientoaksarabians.com. $450 plush shipping ?

I've heard of PayPal, but don't know much about it - I'm really kind of Old School - I do "cash", if you remember what that was ... and I prefer in-person pick-up whenever I can get it ... it's much safer for the tree, IMHO! Let me know. :)

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you decided then where you will land? I hope you will stay in touch, at least on the ether if nothing else.

The Ether is not as solid as working with the five senses, so I'll likely stay connected here thru BN, as I did when I retired to the Philippines the first time. In fact, my wife and I have decided to cancel the divorce proceedings. Whether we will live together full-time over in the PI - especially now when she's built herself a house in the extreme heat of her native province down in the Southern lowlands - or she lives there mostly alone and follows her dream of life-long religious retreat while I go live in the much cooler mountains in Baguio again, with or without periodic retreats in the northern highlands of Thailand or other relatively cool spots within Buddhist or Hindu countries - those details remain to be seen. I will at least be able to stay connected here with photos of my old or any new trees in the Philippines. Return visits to Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Mainland China and Vietnam may occur, but are not likely to be bonsai-centered, and - surprisingly to many people - I never travel with a camera, so I may not post much from those places.

LOL! I feel a bit like Da Free John, launching into his, "And so, this is my report to you..." talk! I suppose one could do worse!

Top Bottom