Hey everyone

kcdakrt

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi, my name is Kevin and I've just gotten into the art of bonsai. I live in west Tennessee -zone 7b- and would love to find some local clubs if possible. I'm going to be purchasing some books and would love some recommendations from you folks. I'm super thankful that I'm getting into bonsai at an early age and I hope I get to live with some trees for 70 years. I've taken an interest in boxwood forest plantings and I also love the way trident maples look. I also love the way banyan style ficus looks with the aerial roots spread everywhere. I've read that starting with pines tend to be more difficult so any input on that would be appreciated. My local nursery carries some decent boxwood stock so I was considering picking up a few.:D

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to B-Nut!

I have several boxwood myself and it is one of my favorite. Look around older threads and if you have any questions...ask away! :)

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
TENNESSEE
TENNESSEE - Kingsport

Mid-Appalachian Bonsai kai meets the 3rd Monday of each month, for location and directions please contact Anita Bausman at (423) 239-7602 or by e-mail. Study group of interested bonsai students, various levels, all ages, September show, participate in other shows and community events/education, everyone welcome, email or call for more information.
TENNESSEE - Knoxville

Knoxville Bonsai Society meets at various members' homes typically on the second saturday of each month from 9:30am-noon. For more informaton please contact: Tom Bjorholm, phone: (865) 922-0825 or e-mail: bjorholmt@juno.com - Through a variety of lectures, demonstrations, and hands-on workshops, members are encouraged to develop their skills and understanding of classical bonsai design and culture. Annual spring show held in May. Website: www.bjorvalabonsai.com/kbs.
TENNESSEE - Memphis

Memphis Bonsai Society meets at the Memphis Botanical Gardens Goldsmith Civic Center (750 Cherry Road, Mphs, TN) on the 4th Tuesday of each month (unless a special activity dedicates otherwise). The meetings start at 7:00 PM. Contact: info@memphisbonsai.org Website: www.memphisbonsai.org.
TENNESSEE - Nashville

Nashville Bonsai Society meets at Cheekwood Botanic Gardens, 1200 Forrest Park Drive, Nashville, TN on the first Tuesday of each month at 7:00 PM, except during the months of December and January. Contact: Barbara Bogan (615) 337-4728 or e-mail: bogansbonsai@verizon.net. The Nashville Bonsai Society is an association of individuals dedicated to promoting interest in the art of bonsai. Website

kcdakrt

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for all the info! I live about an hour east of memphis so I'll try to head out there sometime in the near future.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for all the info! I live about an hour east of memphis so I'll try to head out there sometime in the near future.
Welcome! I recommend checking out your local library for books before you start buying. You will be surprised with what they have. That will help you know which ones to buy for your own library since many are repetitive.

Good luck!

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It's not often someone mentions a libary anymore, mostly it's google it now a days.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's not often someone mentions a libary anymore, mostly it's google it now a days.
That's very true. My preference is an actual book. I can only stare at a computer for so long before I go mad. Google does has its advantages sometimes though. After all, it did bring me here!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My wife combines technology by using Library books on her e-reader. It is pretty cool and saves the trip to the Library.

Grimmy

Top Bottom