Hey guys, no more windy balcony!!!!

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My GF and I moved 12 blocks up the road to a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom condo equipped finally finally with a patio and plenty of space for my trees. Sucked moving in 96 degree heat and some of my trees were still inside so protecting them was a chore. Watering when it's this hot is something I'm getting used to as well. Have 4 pre bonsai trees (schefflera, phillippensis, feather acacia and a dwarf pitch) apple that are still in their mix which is half pine bark and half garden soil. Would a switch to inorganic (Diatomaceous Earth, Lava rock, pumice) be ok right now? Worried about watering and the sun cooking the tree heating the water up. When it's this hot, do u water twice a day?

Attachments

• PXL_20210608_131212845.jpg
    PXL_20210608_131212845.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20210608_131206871.jpg
    PXL_20210608_131206871.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 42

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it's best to kill every pine, juniper, flowering joint, alternate deciduous, opposite deciduous, alternate evergreen broadleaf, opposite evergreen broadleaf, until you find one of each of the same list you can't kill, doing nothing extra, and realize a pallette that will not require prep, care, or aftercare, that is ultimately more enjoyable to create with, saving you the ever precious time allowed to just sit down and enjoy what you created.

Fungicide out or Beer in?
Pesticides out or a Book in?
Grunting trees in and out or Dancing joyously amount them?
Can't dance with a shade cloth blipping you in the head!

All that extra is like being out there with a Musket, I know you weren't out there with no musket!

Sorce

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think it's best to kill every pine, juniper, flowering joint, alternate deciduous, opposite deciduous, alternate evergreen broadleaf, opposite evergreen broadleaf, until you find one of each of the same list you can't kill, doing nothing extra, and realize a pallette that will not require prep, care, or aftercare, that is ultimately more enjoyable to create with, saving you the ever precious time allowed to just sit down and enjoy what you created.

Fungicide out or Beer in?
Pesticides out or a Book in?
Grunting trees in and out or Dancing joyously amount them?
Can't dance with a shade cloth blipping you in the head!

All that extra is like being out there with a Musket, I know you weren't out there with no musket!

Sorce
Haha oh sorce, none of this is stressful for me my dude it's all enjoyable and relaxing. I was in the Marines, 2 tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan so any day since I discharged is a walk on a beach. Just trying to figure out sun damage and watering. My desert rose seedlings got scorched and transferring to the sun, gonna be a test this summer but I'm stoked for the challenge.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congrats!!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Good for you, looks really nice.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
When it's this hot, do u water twice a day?
Watering frequency depends on soil, pot size as well as temp and humidity. I use an open mix with plenty of coarse sand and need to water twice a day all through summer, even with shade cloth overhead for the deciduous trees.

Great you have a new place with room for trees. Good luck with managing the new water and sun levels.

Forestcat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Check soil dampness on each tree several times a day if possible and adjust watering accordingly. Some trees need to dry out between waterings, others like to be kept moist. I water two times a day during the summer, and if it gets really hot, move the trees into the shade to avoid scorch. I have an azalea that I recently repotted, so I am misting it four times a day, but I am retired so it's easy for me to do that. Good luck in your new location!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice
You've got some room to make a nice set up for your trees.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sweet!

Too many plastic buffet tables. Get yourself some concrete blocks and 2x8 treated boards. Cheap, and looks more orderly and organic. Plus you need the extra shelf space for all your trees!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thank you for your service, kind sir.
Welcome to the NutHouse.....belated.

When it's hot, I water morning and evening....and maybe afternoon too just to cool things down, if its a day when I'm home and able.

Forestcat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sweet!

Too many plastic buffet tables. Get yourself some concrete blocks and 2x8 treated boards. Cheap, and looks more orderly and organic. Plus you need the extra shelf space for all your trees!
Give the man a break, he just moved in! ;) I confess to owning a few plastic buffet tables myself but my husband is gradually replacing them with wood benches. One advantage of plastic tables is that they are easily moved around to a different yard microclimate at various seasons of the year, but the wooden ones do look nice.

Top Bottom