Hey, L.A., its pronounced "grapple"

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Snow in So. Cal., and in Las Vegas...National Weather Service has to explain what snow, sleet and grauple is--(and BTW, it's not "GrawPEL," for crying out loud)

from the article--He explained that if the precipitation bounces off the ground, then it contains ice, which would make it hail or sleet. If it floats, it’s snow. In many areas, residents reported seeing small slushy balls, which Boldt said is graupel, snowflakes slightly melted and bunched together.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-california-snow-20190221-story.html

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This has been far and away the coldest winter in my 23 years in California. Usually we might get one storm a year that dusts Santiago Peak with snow at the very top. This year it has been relentless - storm after storm with snow levels down to 1000 feet. I was talking to a friend who said there is 4-6" at 4400 feet - 1200 feet below the peak - and this is the first time we have seen snow there, ever. Every morning the car parked on our driveway is coated in frost, and my pool pump is running as automatic freeze prevention.

Yesterday I did a short ride up towards the mountains, and when I turned around I got hammered by a combination of sleet and hail. I almost had to stop for cover under a highway overpass.

Precipitation as a percent of normal... for the ENTIRE RAINY SEASON:

Screenshot_2019-02-22-CNRFC---Interactive-Map-Interface.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Snow in So. Cal., and in Las Vegas...National Weather Service has to explain what snow, sleet and grauple is--(and BTW, it's not "GrawPEL," for crying out loud)

FWIW... it's spelled "graupel" :) I am pretty sure it isn't pronounced "grapple". It's pronounced grappel - with a vowel sound like the o in "hot".

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW... it's spelled "graupel" :) I am pretty sure it isn't pronounced "grapple". It's pronounced grappel - with a vowel sound like the o in "hot".

As long as you don't say Graw-PEL, you're good to go.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are all cracking me up with this 'graupel' nonsense. Great photos and so glad you are all getting precipitation! You can thank the lack of sunspot activity for it.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"snow pellets" is the other meteorological term for those of you who are pronunciation-challenged. Also sometimes called
soft hail.

Carry on.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, here in the east, we don't use the word. We just call shit that looks like balled up snow "shit that looks like balledup snow"

Just pound back a few glasses of plum schnapps and pretend to be a crusty old Austrian ski guide and the pronunciation automatically comes out perfectly.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just pound back a few glasses of plum schnapps and pretend to be a crusty old Austrian ski guide and the pronunciation automatically comes out perfectly.
Nah, still comes out "balled up snow shit" and WTF Plum schnapps??? YAGER meister is what real crusty old eastern U.S. ski instructors used to drink (firsthand experience...)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tastes like nectar of the God's when your on a chairlift in -30 winds!!!!

Not too much, though.....no need to pull a "Kennedy".....poor bastard!:oops:

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nah, still comes out "balled up snow shit" and WTF Plum schnapps??? YAGER meister is what real crusty old eastern U.S. ski instructors used to drink (firsthand experience...)

Slivovitz, (schlivovitch) more or less tastes like fruity paint thinner, great stuff, pairs well with donkey sausage.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Slivovitz, (schlivovitch) more or less tastes like fruity paint thinner, great stuff, pairs well with donkey sausage.
Used to have Polish neighbors. I'm familiar--with the Slivovitz (not the donkey sausage)

And FWIW, the local beverage served in this kind of container was the local Appalachian ski resort lift operators' choice.
shine.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom