Hi All

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I like many others, found this site because Brent posted it over at Evergreen's Gardenworks page. I have been lurking on here for a few weeks and have not said hi.

I am fairly new to bonsai although I have been in love with them for many years. However, I have made so many mistakes that I believe I am slowly eliminating enough blunders to be more successful.

I live in Las Vegas and the desert is not kind to our little friends in pots. What the heat does not kill the wind often will. Adding to the difficulty is that I am trying this on my apartment patio. *sigh*

I am looking forward to learning from all of you. I don't know of any clubs or other people who are stupid enough to try bonsai here so it is difficult learning on my own.

Thanks for hearing me out!

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I feel your pain. I lived in an apartment in St. George, UT for a year. I kept a trident maple seedling and a couple of elms alive on my apartment patio... barely.

I too am looking at future moves with bonsai in mind; so with a brother already in Oregon... :)

Last edited:

robert1955

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome, milehigh

The extreme heat is tough, man. There's this dude in Phelan, in the high desert, here in SoCal that has a big nursery and I was surprised that he grows maples in the desert. I asked him how he does it and he said "lots of water". I bought a large maple from him and its the only maple that i have that does well in this climate.

Good luck,bro.

Bob

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
One of the things I am doing is trees and shrubs that are either native or do well here in landscape. Time will tell.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One of the things I am doing is trees and shrubs that are either native or do well here in landscape. Time will tell.
Excellent choice! I have often mentioned this to folks who that start out. While we might envy our neighbour's trees from a different states, purchasing locally is the recipe for success. Local nurseries only bring in stock that is suitable for their/your location, otherwise they wouldn't remain in business very long.

Lance

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome milehigh!! enjoy!

sreeja

Seed
Reaction score
Hello all
I am new here.I am sreeja.I am from India.Nice to meet you all.This forum looks nice.Hope i can enjoy stay.
:) :)

robert1955

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome sreeja! It will be interesting to learn about the plant material you have there in India.

Bob, from the avocado capital of the world.

Top Bottom