Hi everyone!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hey everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name's Tim, aka Timbo, aka Rubberband Man. I'm deep south here in Pensacola, FL. I'm new to keeping bonsai, well I've only been keeping for a couple years. Always been attracted to them and just now having the time to dedicate to learning about them. Currently I have several Maples, Junipers, Myrtles and Boxwoods. I have joined the local club and have been to two meetings and intend on many more.

I'm finding my interest in local, established trees. I'd really like some pines and bald cypress and look forward to next spring when I can collect some. A buddy got us permission to harvest Bald Cypress on private property and I'm stoked! Plus I live in an area rich with landscapers that yank the trees for discard, so I will be working on aquiring those. Should be a great collection year in 2015!

Luckily, I have a buddy that got into bonsai recently, and it helps to have a running buddy. He and I have weekly meets at one of our houses, and it's been great. We'll study the plants and watch YouTube vids, and tinker around- which is plenty of fun!

So, I'm beginning my long journey!

BTW, other interests include koi, and I am very active in that hobby, attending multiple shows yearly and bringing my koi. (I have several wins and took a Champion status in Atlanta in 2012.) Also very involved in koi clubs and helping others with ponds. My background is in marine aquaria and I used to own a reef store for greater than a decade. So, I am used to visualizing future growth and have much patience, persitence and diligence- all of which I feel will help me in this hobby.

Small world, I've seen some people on here I know from the koi scene! My moniker is Appliance Guy on koi forums- so some of you may recognize me too.

So, looking forward to learning and growing with you all!

Cheers,

Timbo

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Welcome on board. You will find that it is insanity, and that includes some of us as well.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aka koiman. Aka reefer!

Lol

Welcome to nuts!

Sounds like you are prepared to. ...wait!

Sorce

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
Left at doorstep

Hi Everyone, someone left me a bonsai (Boxwood) on my doorstep with a note of thanks. First thing I did was cut away the top and cut away some of those roots. I will be attacking that flat portion because it is just ...well... ugly.

Attachments

• west of stream 003.jpg
    west of stream 003.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 33
  • west of stream 004.jpg
    west of stream 004.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 40

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi Everyone, someone left me a bonsai (Boxwood) on my doorstep with a note of thanks. First thing I did was cut away the top and cut away some of those roots. I will be attacking that flat portion because it is just ...well... ugly.

Hi,

You might want to start a new thread so that more people with experience with boxwood can help you out there.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I have been lurking and decided to join to participate. Will get some pics up soon.

Reaction score
Hey guys ,
I am new here here there for i have decided to post in introduction section first. I have some problems which i want to discuss here. Hope i can get solution of all my problems as soon as possible.
Hope members here help me and cooperate with me ! :smug:

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Welcome, this is a good place to get lots of info and advice! good place to look at all the past thread for good info too.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name's Tim, aka Timbo, aka Rubberband Man. I'm deep south here in Pensacola, FL. I'm new to keeping bonsai, well I've only been keeping for a couple years. Always been attracted to them and just now having the time to dedicate to learning about them. Currently I have several Maples, Junipers, Myrtles and Boxwoods. I have joined the local club and have been to two meetings and intend on many more.

I'm finding my interest in local, established trees. I'd really like some pines and bald cypress and look forward to next spring when I can collect some. A buddy got us permission to harvest Bald Cypress on private property and I'm stoked! Plus I live in an area rich with landscapers that yank the trees for discard, so I will be working on aquiring those. Should be a great collection year in 2015!

Luckily, I have a buddy that got into bonsai recently, and it helps to have a running buddy. He and I have weekly meets at one of our houses, and it's been great. We'll study the plants and watch YouTube vids, and tinker around- which is plenty of fun!

So, I'm beginning my long journey!

BTW, other interests include koi, and I am very active in that hobby, attending multiple shows yearly and bringing my koi. (I have several wins and took a Champion status in Atlanta in 2012.) Also very involved in koi clubs and helping others with ponds. My background is in marine aquaria and I used to own a reef store for greater than a decade. So, I am used to visualizing future growth and have much patience, persitence and diligence- all of which I feel will help me in this hobby.

Small world, I've seen some people on here I know from the koi scene! My moniker is Appliance Guy on koi forums- so some of you may recognize me too.

So, looking forward to learning and growing with you all!

Cheers,

Timbo

Welcome to BNut Timbo. There are many koi ponders here too. You'll fit in just fine.
Si

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
Welcome

You will find from the novice to the expert level here. It is so nice. No color barriers, no politics only those who want to see you strive for the best things. I've also received over 2,000 mud men and 30 pots into the warehouse... I think I'm being blessed.

bonsai beginner

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hello all

hello all my name is Virgil. i live in Crosby Texas just outside of Houston. I have been visiting this site for good while and decided to join. I have a nursery stock bald cypress, jrm junipers and recently collected a large myrtle. i am in the process of getting pics and will have them up soon. One main question I have is I am disabled and so im on a fixed income so extra funds are pretty much neil. I have read and gotten special kitty litter for soil. It seems to be doing well and not breaking down. Is there something else i could use besides the costly mediums like akadama? :confused:

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome.

Substrate is THE most debated subject in bonsai. Take a look at the soil sub-forum and read until your eyes bleed. It is quite a mire to wade through.

Smoke started a good thread: Some facts about bonsai soil. It is worth a careful read.

Good luck

bonsai beginner

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
forgot

i forgot to mention my field grown trident maple that i trunk chopped .. I am using the kitty litter mix on it....thanks again for the help
:)

Top Bottom