TurtleSquisher

Yamadori
Reaction score
I wanted to introduce myself! I recently got into this ancient hobby back in December and I wanted to start getting into the community since I've basically dedicated 10% of my lifetime to these little guys. I would also love any sort of tips on an improvement, within reason of course.

So far I've gotten the atmosphere for each one pretty stable. I can't wait to get to know all of you!!! I will be a very active user!

20220218_220003.jpg20220218_104415.jpg20220218_105115.jpg20220218_093200.jpg
Very Recent ^

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Welcome to the club!
The only advice I have right now is to think about those rocks in your pot. If they don't serve a physical function, they're probably inhibiting a soil property function.
Think heat capture, moisture retention, evaporation.. I'm under the impression that large rocks aren't very beneficial.

TurtleSquisher

Yamadori
Reaction score
Welcome to the club!
The only advice I have right now is to think about those rocks in your pot. If they don't serve a physical function, they're probably inhibiting a soil property function.
Think heat capture, moisture retention, evaporation.. I'm under the impression that large rocks aren't very beneficial.
Oh! Which large rocks? Are you talking about the generic pumice stone in my juniper? Or that big one in my Redwood?

The juniper was bought from a dude on the side of the road and I have yet to repot it.

As for my Redwoods, I can most definitely take it out if it's going to hurt the trees. It just came like that so I kept it in there.

TurtleSquisher

Yamadori
Reaction score
Those rocks are doing no harm. The rock to soil ratio here is not a problem.
I thought it'd be alright for a while at least. I wanted to find another one though cause it doesn't fit the feeling I have in place for it. Rocks are okay though as long as they don't inhibit root systems or make anything dry out correct?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Is it weird that I saw this thread... and was off-put by the animal harm in OPs name... and didn't respond because of it?

I guess that's not fair to the Op. The screen name just left a bad taste in my eyes.

Greetings, @TurtleSquisher , Welcome to The TinyForest... The Woody Dwarves (PA-IS) eye you skeptically from the treeline... needing more info about your title...

This place is, essentially, a groovy, communal library of knowledge, wisdom, and experience. Read what you need.. then start filling your own shelves for sharing and fellowship.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance!

🤓

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboard BNut!

Looks like you have some material to experiment with. Also that you are paying attention to keeping things alive over immediate styling. Horticulture is job one.

After viewing your images, particularity the Redwood forest, I was thinking that perhaps you might what to study up forest composition before its next repotting.

Welcome again!

Cheers
DSD sends

TurtleSquisher

Yamadori
Reaction score
Is it weird that I saw this thread... and was off-put by the animal harm in OPs name... and didn't respond because of it?

I guess that's not fair to the Op. The screen name just left a bad taste in my eyes.

Greetings, @TurtleSquisher , Welcome to The TinyForest... The Woody Dwarves (PA-IS) eye you skeptically from the treeline... needing more info about your title...

This place is, essentially, a groovy, communal library of knowledge, wisdom, and experience. Read what you need.. then start filling your own shelves for sharing and fellowship.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance!

🤓
Hahahahaha nice to meet you friend!

I am most definitely a woody elf, my land is the forests of Northern California

Don't worry, i don't cOMPLETELy squish them, just slightly. No killing to any living creature.

... except ants, I attack them when they attack me first.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hahahahaha nice to meet you friend!

I am most definitely a woody elf, my land is the forests of Northern California

Don't worry, i don't cOMPLETELy squish them, just slightly. No killing to any living creature.

... except ants, I attack them when they attack me first.
Ooooh like you hug them...

But you don't realize your own strength!

1645295685554.gif

...like the OPPOSITE of what I was thinking.

TurtleSquisher

Yamadori
Reaction score
Welcome Aboard BNut!

Looks like you have some material to experiment with. Also that you are paying attention to keeping things alive over immediate styling. Horticulture is job one.

After viewing your images, particularity the Redwood forest, I was thinking that perhaps you might what to study up forest composition before its next repotting.

Welcome again!

Cheers
DSD sends
Most definitely! You can't style without a healthy tree. Period. I figured I'd get them now though so I can get that early spring lovin, but I really need to study forestry. I have a good idea with how I want to do it but you can never study enough. I have some really decent bonsai soil but I think these guys needs special stuff in the soil as well as a TON of water... not too much of course but they're friggin 5 redwoods in a pot!

Thirsty boys.

TurtleSquisher

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ooooh like you hug them...

But you don't realize your own strength!

View attachment 421051

...like the OPPOSITE of what I was thinking.
I'll admit, I have accidentally squished one BUT IT WASNT ON PURPOSE AND I FELT LIKE CHOPPING MY FOOT OFF... 🥺

So now I only squish them lightly on occasion. It's my other past time.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'll admit, I have accidentally squished one BUT IT WASNT ON PURPOSE AND I FELT LIKE CHOPPING MY FOOT OFF... 🥺

So now I only squish them lightly on occasion. It's my other past time.
I live on the penninsula off of green bay.. lots of Wetlands...

And one year, for the 4th of july fireworks, we watched the fireworks display at Otumba Park in Sturgeon Bay. The amphibian life was... VERY ACTIVE... to the point where unassuming feet caused many unintended casualties.

My oldest son, Riley, then about 7 years old, was running around, attempting to save them all... even scolding passerby for not carefully stepping.

I should mention (to YOU, not Riley) that AS he was running around, shouting "Frog Rescue Force, NOW!".... he had unknowingly trampled more frogs than he led to salvation.

😂😂

TurtleSquisher

Yamadori
Reaction score
I live on the penninsula off of green bay.. lots of Wetlands...

And one year, for the 4th of july fireworks, we watched the fireworks display at Otumba Park in Sturgeon Bay. The amphibian life was... VERY ACTIVE... to the point where unassuming feet caused many unintended casualties.

My oldest son, Riley, then about 7 years old, was running around, attempting to save them all... even scolding passerby for not carefully stepping.

I should mention (to YOU, not Riley) that AS he was running around, shouting "Frog Rescue Force, NOW!".... he had unknowingly trampled more frogs than he led to salvation.

😂😂
That was a beautiful story 🥺 I totally relate to your son, POOR GUY 😢

TurtleSquisher

Yamadori
Reaction score
Northern California is AWESOME!...

Oregon (Central through Coastal) is my favorite.. and Northern California shares this geography and organic life/spirit.
I'm so glad you said organic life and spirit cause it really does feel like that. All the time. Especially Humboldt area is just filled with such a green energy I love it!!! My favorite color has always been green and this is why I have been chosen to do this craft. I'm assuming you have felt the same way my fellow woody friend~

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Welcome to the club!
But..but..but..The rock provides shade for the old man.....He would have heat stroke without the rock....Please be considerate of others.

Top Bottom