Hi from Iggy the Azalea

Jimmy Pete

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
DD5A8C17-1892-4311-8B51-F7F3C95F7549.jpeg
“Hi - I’m Iggy the Azalea!”

Hey everyone, glad to have stumbled onto the board. Looks to be a thriving community! I’ve been a bonsai fan my entire life, have owned a few, and unfortunately seen a few die for various reasons (usually trusting roommates to care for them while out of town).

Anywho, my mom send my wife a nice bittersweet azalea for Mother’s Day that we thought might be a good candidate to turn into a bonsai. Ive only ever purchased bonsai in the past, so really excited to try to make my own. Unfortunately I have no idea where to begin! I’ve posted some pictures of the azalea below, which we’ve dubbed “Iggy the Azalea”, and would really love any ideas for potential shape, thoughts on how to achieve, and/or recommendations for other necessities fo getting started (Ideal pot, soil needed, general care, etc)

if there’s any other info I can provide that would be helpful, let me know! I’m excited to get started, and will definitely post picture updates as the journey unfolds!

C7A93678-6B10-4380-9916-3168290CC6FA.jpeg07482A99-1C6F-475F-96D7-64081C7A3383.jpeg152F4272-BB34-4BB0-86D0-2A9CBBAEF52E.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't keep azaleas so no help there. However, welcome to the forum! Tons of info here - start practicing with the search feature now, you'll be using it often. :)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Go buy the basic tools: a hatchet and shovel.

Jimmy Pete

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Go buy the basic tools: a hatchet and shovel.

shovel, check.
hatchet, probably have in the tool shed. But whats it for though?

other things I’ve procured based on browsing forums:

-pruning paste
-wire of various gages
-some bonsai soil
-pumice

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd enjoy the flowers and think about what I want the shape to be and where I'll need to cut. After the blooms are spent you can do any work you need to do, including a repot. Plenty of information on this site. Just my 2cents enjoy.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The hatchet is for later use, so you can start with what you have. Lucky for you that you have these wonderful flowers so you won't make the first mistake most of us do: working on the tree immediately instead of studying both the tree and the general principles of bonsai. Shop for pot, too, in the interim that has about the same or a little larger volume than the pot it is in. It will have feet (which make it a bonsai pot) and if you like a matching tray because this will be a houseplant even if spends summers outdoors. Please click on your icon in the upper right hand corner and enter something in your "location" so we can give you seasonal/growing zone info, too. This is a truly international forum.

Attached is a primer that will get you exposed to the general ideas of bonsai. While you are reading it, please look at the various parts of your trees (yes, it looks like you have two individuals in the pot) so that when the blooms fade and you remove them by gripping them with your fingertips at the little hard ball at the base of the flower and pulling the individual flower straight off without damaging the foliage, you'll be ready to come back here and discuss the steps, one at a time. Enjoy! And, welcome to bonsai.

Attachments

• The Rules of Bonsai 020318.pdf
    317.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Jim Kelly guide.pdf
    687.4 KB · Views: 5

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings, fellow wanderer of the Tiny Forest.

Beautiful color!

Azaleas are in CONSTANT discussion. If you dig around a little, there great, applicable information in “dese dere halls” ... yes... “halls”

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That one looks pretty intense with the dark green and the deep reds. It's florist azalea. I think they will have put several cuttings into one pot. And then they pull out all the tricks in the book to make it look as attractive as possible during the window where they put it on sale. It will be a challenge to have it just as compact and intense green in 5 years.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks From a fellow Tennessean! Happy to be here.

If you're in the Nashville area, you should join NBS! www.nashvillebonsai.com We also have a Facebook page, just look up Nashville Bonsai Society.

If you're in East Tennessee, check out KBS; www.knoxvillebonsaisociety.com They also have a FB page.

If you're in Chattanooga, check out TVBS; www.tvbonsai.org - To my knowledge they don't have social media, its a much smaller club than the first two but full of nice folks.

Jimmy Pete

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That one looks pretty intense with the dark green and the deep reds. It's florist azalea. I think they will have put several cuttings into one pot. And then they pull out all the tricks in the book to make it look as attractive as possible during the window where they put it on sale. It will be a challenge to have it just as compact and intense green in 5 years.

After studying the base in a bit more detail, as well as a good rabbit hole binge into the forums, I’ve worked myself to the same conclusion. It’s 3 distinct plants at least, so def wouldn’t be a good candidate. I do like it though! Think I’ll split it up and plant it in my raised beds for garden use.

All that said, I’m too far in at this point to back out - especially after seeing the 5 year azalea contest thread! Especially since I have a ton of azaleas in my backyard that might be good candidates. I took a quick peak around and spotted ton of little ones tucked away behind all of the big mature plants. Most look like they could be at risk of getting smothered by other plants too, so perhaps we can save one and get a great bonsai as well!

I’m about to take a a deeper dive exploration to inventory candidates. Will report back with pics to see if yall spot one that has potential!

really appreciate everyone’s feedback so far - think I’m gonna have to hang around for a while!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah it's pretty much a blaze of glory that one. As you've gotten sucked into the vortex again, enjoy the journey. Do please go to your profile page and put your location in so it can appear under your name. It will be helpful once you determine what your next victim will be for us to give you good advice for your climate.

Jimmy Pete

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yeah it's pretty much a blaze of glory that one. As you've gotten sucked into the vortex again, enjoy the journey. Do please go to your profile page and put your location in so it can appear under your name. It will be helpful once you determine what your next victim will be for us to give you good advice for your climate.

Done!

Heres a few of the random azaleas that could be potential options. Anyone have thoughts on these or feel like any might lend themselves well to bonsai? i tried to highlight them a bit from the background to give an idea of shape. Most seem healthy-ish, but their larger siblings have forced these little ones to grow tall in order to reach sunlight.

2 and 4 looked like they have the best looking trunks at first glance. That said, this is day 1 for me so what to I know!

Would love any thoughts on potntial candidates and shapes. Can take more pics if needed. If any or all look good, I’ll dig em up!

B5A98908-CA27-4F55-817A-1E179B90AA40.jpeg
E4EF2FF0-DAB5-4769-90F2-29079053699C.jpeg
F0BB76D4-C5D9-4F79-B94D-0FE5308EFB83.jpeg
127FD76E-D603-4734-A0DF-5132BA954864.jpeg
F615072D-8529-4F87-BEF2-82351865BAB8.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Done!

Heres a few of the random azaleas that could be potential options. Anyone have thoughts on these or feel like any might lend themselves well to bonsai? i tried to highlight them a bit from the background to give an idea of shape. Most seem healthy-ish, but their larger siblings have forced these little ones to grow tall in order to reach sunlight.

2 and 4 looked like they have the best looking trunks at first glance. That said, this is day 1 for me so what to I know!

Would love any thoughts on potntial candidates and shapes. Can take more pics if needed. If any or all look good, I’ll dig em up!

View attachment 304043
View attachment 304044
View attachment 304045
View attachment 304046
View attachment 304047

Whooah man!

It’s like..... foggy... around those trees, man.

;)

All jokes aside, good finds. I wish these grew native in my area.

I really like the base of the second pictured... is that “other” trunk completely “spent”?

Jimmy Pete

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Whooah man!

It’s like..... foggy... around those trees, man.

;)

All jokes aside, good finds. I wish these grew native in my area.

I really like the base of the second pictured... is that “other” trunk completely “spent”?

Great question. Is there an easy way to check? I believe it had a couple little leaves coming off the base.

Jimmy Pete

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here’s the unedited, massive original pic + a different angle if that helps. Should be pretty hi res if there’s some identifying features

7E466537-8209-492A-99EC-37C8A34EC535.jpeg52C5DCDE-A3B6-42F5-A396-356000CAA84A.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Great question. Is there an easy way to check? I believe it had a couple little leaves coming off the base.

The leaves coming from the base would be a tell that some of it indeed is alive.

On OTHER trees, I would advise simply scraping a small bit of bark back... but (as I just learned) Azalea have different desirable parameters when dealing with any amount of deadwood regarding it’s ability to “keep out” invaders. Lol

If it were me, I would make a small scratch ABOVE where I knew I would be pruning to... like it never happened.

(I could be acting/speaking a “goofus” on this one, though)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The new pictures instill my feeling of fondness for this tree :) .

Unfortunately, (for me) they don’t help me out with the question of vitality in that second trunk, the “jutting” one...

Are there tiny spots of swelling potential growth that you can currently notice on it?

Top Bottom