Hi from Ohio

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 226207
Here she is a closer look to the base. I have a few shoot coming out about 12-14” up from base. Looks like there were more at one time but previous owner must have removed them. I was thinking of layering right above it this spring.

Don't layer it right above here....

Go up further and layer yourself a good base that will angle out of the soil and taper quickly....PICS!

These little buds will likely get to growing better when you make the layer...but you also may get better buds lower....if you do. Rub these out, anything between these and your layer should get rubbed out too. Early. As bumps.

Let is get mad healthy and I bet you get low low buds on them knobs. That will be your final tree.

Long time till those non exostent buds make anything.....so maybe you have time to layer a couple good start from up high.

Just work to rid yourself as much of that pole as possible and you win!

Carve yourself a baseball bat!

You've been Properly Welcomed!
Ohio represents hard here!

Something about the dopest Larch Ive seen in a while blah blah blah.....;)

Sorce

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m just SE of Columbus, I’ll be attending the much needed wiring class myself. There were still spots last night.

Vietcu

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't layer it right above here....

Go up further and layer yourself a good base that will angle out of the soil and taper quickly....PICS!

These little buds will likely get to growing better when you make the layer...but you also may get better buds lower....if you do. Rub these out, anything between these and your layer should get rubbed out too. Early. As bumps.

Let is get mad healthy and I bet you get low low buds on them knobs. That will be your final tree.

Long time till those non exostent buds make anything.....so maybe you have time to layer a couple good start from up high.

Just work to rid yourself as much of that pole as possible and you win!

Carve yourself a baseball bat!

You've been Properly Welcomed!
Ohio represents hard here!

Something about the dopest Larch Ive seen in a while blah blah blah.....;)

Sorce
Honestly Sorce, the only thing I understood from your instructions is to layer higher up. Are you suggesting doing two layers? I’m still new to all this, sorry

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m just SE of Columbus, I’ll be attending the much needed wiring class myself. There were still spots last night.
I signed up last night, too... Look forward to learning before I do some juniper work this spring

Brent

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And I just read in the newsletter that it's open for free to non members and members alike who would like to be non-participating observers.
I planned on doing that last time, but I bought a pine last minute and jumped in :)
Brent

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This low guy.2019-02-15-19-27-55.jpg

And maybe something higher where these 2 sizes transition. Maybe near green.2019-02-15-19-30-10.jpg
I wanna see pics of in there.
Where the taper happens. Where the big forks to small. Thats your high tree.

The middle part, you could make a club with, or a rolling pin, or a decoration for a reptile cage, or a big pipe, that long straight telephone pole section you can get rid of.

Give yourself like one dollar for every inch of dead straight you can cut out between the two useable sections. Spend it on more trees! Take your time though. Make the top one and harvest it.

See what low buds pop.
Nurture some low bids as new leaders, then cut the low part of the straight off. 2-3 years later even!

Sorce

Vietcu

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
26225CB1-678E-4DC5-8E63-974F258F49DF.jpeg
C5CCA28F-1998-440D-AEF6-3A6E7DEB8E93.jpegDB764995-1924-440F-A8E0-2BF303109DAD.jpeg
I happen to browse another thread where another member happens to have the same tree 10’ high. He did a thread graft, and cut the top portion. Waited until June to do it though. I’m thinking of doing something similar as well maybe.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! You're likely to find better spots in person.....but I would look here at these lines for layers.
2019-02-16-07-26-23.jpg
Remember you want each next taper segment to be a third or so shorter than the last. Seems you will be lauering fpr 2 segments, but then waiting for low buds to make More later chops.

I would cut everything back hard once. To the last bit of greem on each branch. Wait a year or less.

Then begin harvesting layers from the top down. One or 2 a yearish.

All the while buildimg that low boy, even keeping independent lighting on the low part.

Careful with thread grafts.
I have never done it before, but the one I placed on mine seems will get choked out before any actual life paths are established.

Sorce

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I won't be participating in the workshop but I'll be there if any of you fellow nuts want to meet.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Question: how many of you Buckeyes have a buckeye on your bench???

View attachment 227724

I just collected this one last March and am planning to leave it alone for another year before trying to work on it.
I'm looking at taking one from the yard, not nearly that nice. Very cool!

B

EricMack

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
New guy from Ohio here too, been lurking and finally signed up. Long been fascinated by bonsai, finally turning my serious attention to it.
I'm in Columbus, if anyone on here doesn't mind talking with a newb, I'd enjoy the chance to message with you. I've long had a green thumb, and grow a lot of interesting plants, most of which aren't native here.

Really glad I've been lurking and reading, as its helped me learn, and pointed me to some good sources of pre-bonsai, and I'm ready to pull the trigger now that this cold snap is going back north where it belongs, lol.

Really debating whether to go with a chinese elm, or something tropical (ficus?) I can enjoy inside as well. Maybe both, lol

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Chinese elm are not as much indoor trees as a ficus would be if that's the object. And even ficus like being outside in the summer sucking up all that warmth and light. I have enough small trees now that I can rotate trees inside and out so I can enjoy them in the evenings and days when I'm home. So you can do it that way too.

EricMack

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Chinese elm are not as much indoor trees as a ficus would be if that's the object. And even ficus like being outside in the summer sucking up all that warmth and light. I have enough small trees now that I can rotate trees inside and out so I can enjoy them in the evenings and days when I'm home. So you can do it that way too.
Thanks, that's a good suggestion. I already take my 10' ponytail palm out on the deck for the Summer....he's been hanging with me since 1982 :cool:
Have you started your bonsai from nursery stock? I plan to do that, but I'm going to buy my first tree soon, perhaps from Dasu Studios

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks, that's a good suggestion. I already take my 10' ponytail palm out on the deck for the Summer....he's been hanging with me since 1982 :cool:
Have you started your bonsai from nursery stock? I plan to do that, but I'm going to buy my first tree soon, perhaps from Dasu Studios
I purchase mostly stock started specifically for bonsai. Although when I was newer I did the whole box store thing too LOL...

Vietcu

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New guy from Ohio here too, been lurking and finally signed up. Long been fascinated by bonsai, finally turning my serious attention to it.
I'm in Columbus, if anyone on here doesn't mind talking with a newb, I'd enjoy the chance to message with you. I've long had a green thumb, and grow a lot of interesting plants, most of which aren't native here.

Really glad I've been lurking and reading, as its helped me learn, and pointed me to some good sources of pre-bonsai, and I'm ready to pull the trigger now that this cold snap is going back north where it belongs, lol.

Really debating whether to go with a chinese elm, or something tropical (ficus?) I can enjoy inside as well. Maybe both, lol
Welcome fellow newbie, wish you are closer to Kent than Col. since starting this hobby, I mail purchased 4 plants for indoor usage as well as out because of our weather. From my limited experience so far, I see that the ficus and jade are very forgiving for indoor plants. I also purchased a dwarf pomegranate, and a Brazilian raintree. Have not been able to mess with those two, because of size and losing leaves. Hopefully they stay alive long enough for me to move them outdoors.

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
New to bonsai, was wondering how many in here are from Ohio? Going to my first meeting tomorrow to a bonsai club so hopefully some on here are? I don’t have much to work with yet, but not really an issue. After all I’m just now diving into the hobby, so would like to learn a few things first. I bought a small ficus microcarpa through the mail to hopefully work on. But seems too small to do anything at this time. Also scored a huge ficus tree someone didn’t want. Thinking of air layering it as there is a small bud growing midway up the trunk.
Dayton, Ohio area here. About 2 years into bonsai myself.

Top Bottom