Hi from Ohio

Vietcu

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New to bonsai, was wondering how many in here are from Ohio? Going to my first meeting tomorrow to a bonsai club so hopefully some on here are? I don’t have much to work with yet, but not really an issue. After all I’m just now diving into the hobby, so would like to learn a few things first. I bought a small ficus microcarpa through the mail to hopefully work on. But seems too small to do anything at this time. Also scored a huge ficus tree someone didn’t want. Thinking of air layering it as there is a small bud growing midway up the trunk.

Attachments

• E7E23552-7C65-46D1-94E2-736E9D1874A6.jpeg
    E7E23552-7C65-46D1-94E2-736E9D1874A6.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 742980D9-A9BE-4DA0-BCCA-5749AFFBE073.jpeg
    742980D9-A9BE-4DA0-BCCA-5749AFFBE073.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

WesB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congrats on becoming a tree bender, I see a few things you need to do for the smaller one so you should be busy at the meeting. Good idea on layering the big boy there ?

Vietcu

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8BACAFDD-3E19-4627-8FC6-6D0574AF200F.jpeg
Here she is a closer look to the base. I have a few shoot coming out about 12-14” up from base. Looks like there were more at one time but previous owner must have removed them. I was thinking of layering right above it this spring.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Cable is a member of the Cleveland club. Welcome to the nuthouse.
I think he's also a member here at the Columbus club too.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Akron Canton Bonsai club. There is another club a bit north Cleveland bonsai club, wanted to go to one first to get a feel of things.
I plan on joining in the spring with that club! I don't want to even venture out with chance of temps dropping and poor weather while in winter. It's a good hour and a half from me. So prefer no chance of weather hindering my travels.

Welcome to the forum!!! So glad your getting your connections in a club atmosphere as well. Let me know what you think of it... You have ficus...I know the Cincinnati club is having Adam Lavigne in come June. Would be neat if that club you're joining there could also get a visit from him while he's up this way...I know I plan on going to see him do a demo in Cincinnati. Because his trees are quirky and I am wanting to add a sumo to my mix...and would love to hear guidance from a southerner on the species. Tips and what not...

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Cable is a member of the Cleveland club. Welcome to the nuthouse.
I think he's also a member here at the Columbus club too.

Yep, I'm in the Cleveland club! Akron is a good group, and, of course, my buds in the Columbus club (I'm not a member there just know some folks). Dayton, Sandusky, and Cincinnati have clubs, too. Lots of bonsai in Ohio!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yep, I'm in the Cleveland club! Akron is a good group, and, of course, my buds in the Columbus club (I'm not a member there just know some folks). Dayton, Sandusky, and Cincinnati have clubs, too. Lots of bonsai in Ohio!
Guess you are an honorary member then!

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another buckeye here, Dayton.. very new to bonsai, still researching the clubs

Brent

Vietcu

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everyone seemed to be very helpful and nice at the first meeting. I’m hoping I can make it to the second one. Glad I went.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mark Fields will be at the Columbus meeting teaching wiring Sunday the 17th. They are starting to get great guests to come in recently. They've got Jim Doyle coming to discuss collection and aftercare next month, and Owen Reich this year as well.
I know there are plans to keep having great artists at this club now, so if it's within your driving distance there are good reasons now.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That wiring workshop Judy mentioned still has spots available at the moment as well.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am hopeful that I make the Columbus meetings, have a few marked on Facebook.... I went to half the pines demo this fall with Julian Adams, wish I could have made whole thing...
Brent

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want to make a Columbus one eventually. Those sound good Judy. I'm in Coshocton with a grandbaby over there to visit.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Some of my people lived over in Coshocton for a time. Waverly... LMK when you’re thru sometime and come visit!

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
New to bonsai, was wondering how many in here are from Ohio? Going to my first meeting tomorrow to a bonsai club so hopefully some on here are? I don’t have much to work with yet, but not really an issue. After all I’m just now diving into the hobby, so would like to learn a few things first. I bought a small ficus microcarpa through the mail to hopefully work on. But seems too small to do anything at this time. Also scored a huge ficus tree someone didn’t want. Thinking of air layering it as there is a small bud growing midway up the trunk.
ya Ohio!
I'm a little farther south of you. welcome to crazy!

Top Bottom