Hi, got my first bonsai (a boxwood) need some advice pls

Squeaker

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi everyone. I just bought my first bonsai on ebay because theres no where i can buy one local. Its a boxwood (common boxwood i believe). I researched different kinds of bonsai, and boxwood seemed to be the best canidate, although dwarf pomegranete was tempting me quite a bit, just because of the novelty lol. Heres a link with some pix, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Bo...-Fat-Large-Trunk-Great-Movement-/150969756836 i hope the link works.

I dont think im going to do an informal upright, because the trunk is already a bit too styleized, but thats what i loved about it. And the roots are already comming out of the ground, which made me think i could eventually do root over rock style, and in which case that curved trunk might prove to be useful for going along side a rock or something.... anyway, thought it could be neat.

Im looking for some styleing opinions, with how it looks now, what are my possibilities? I do think im going to start training the 2 lowest branches outward, if theyre pliable enough. Is it possible to shape the trunk any more or is it too old to shape it more? Im thinking about continuing the slight S bend or something.

Does anything need to be pruned out of the big ball at the top or can i just let that remain full? I really like the branch structure on the back side where theyre exposed. (Of course any pruning would be done at the right time of the year). Im just trying to get some ideas and see what yall think about the one i bought.

Just because i like it, PLEASE feel free to be honest lol. I bought it because it looked "neat", so im seeing it through different eyes than someone who has lots of bonsais and can know their potential right away.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to BNut!!!

Please update your profile with your location (and USDA zone) if possible. Makes it much easier to help you :)

Next time check local nurseries or even Home Depot or Lowes. You could get lucky and find better trees for less.

No advise on styling but you sure can bend any part of this tree. It won't be easy or straightforward (or not just by wiring) but doable.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Welcome!

As to this trees use for root over rock, I wouldn't try it. The roots are already exposed, but shoving a rock under them wouldn't work out too well. Root over rock works best when you start with the roots growing down over the rock, not when the rock is placed under already grown roots.

Squeaker

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I actually looked at local nurseries and hardware stores, all i could find was juniper, which i didnt want, and braided money tree or ponytail palm tree (i think thats what its called), and i have both of those already. I wanted something a little different than what was available here.

Im in fairfield, ca. Not sure what zone that is, but its northern california. I plan on keeping it indoors, and winters shouldnt be a problem because i never heat my house lol. On average, my house is always in the low to mid 50s in the winter.

As for root over rock, i meant that i might try it when i go to transplant it, since its only in a plastic pot. I just saw the exposed roots and thats what made me go hmmmmmm, that would be cool if there was a rock under there lol. Since im new, when i transplant it, ill probably do a little rock, nothing too crazy or ambitious.

With this bonsai, im not interested in it being super proper or anything like that, i bought it more as an experiment bonsai, so i can try a variety of different techniques that i learn. Do people name their bonsais, cause i might name this one frankenstein lol. Im sure over the years, ill try all kinds of different things :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I plan on keeping it indoors, and winters shouldnt be a problem because i never heat my house lol. On average, my house is always in the low to mid 50s in the winter.

Oh-oh. Boxwood is an outside plant...you have to be extremely good to make it flourish inside. Good luck!

Squeaker

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hmm, i read on quite a few sites that its a good indoor choice. Well, thats fine. Outside doesnt bother me lol

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hmm, i read on quite a few sites that its a good indoor choice. Well, thats fine. Outside doesnt bother me lol

There's tons of sites out there with incorrect information like that, just gotta know which ones to trust. Outdoors for life for this guy.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I bet all those sites are selling boxwood bonsai LOL. There are only a few plants that adopt well indoors. And very few "gifted" people can really make other plants flourish indoors.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Oh-oh. Boxwood is an outside plant...you have to be extremely good to make it flourish inside. Good luck!

Hey mate - Bonsai Boys in New York sells a LOT of Chinese Elms as INDOOR plants 9 years old because that is the way they are raised... I agree with your statement on "good luck" because it seems there is little or know why to find out "how" that plant was farmed and adjust. :cool:

Squeaker

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Please do update your profile. It is really the only way we can give proper advice. Welcome to the addiction and the Nut House!

Lol, the nut house :)

I already have a braided money tree and a ponytail palm that are absolutely thriving indoors and theyre in small pots, are they considered bonsai? The ponytail palm has leaves(?) that are about 4.5' long and the braided money tree grows new leaves all the time.

My ponytail palm gets sorta neglected with water, but it seems to appreciate that lol. I only water it once every other month or so but theres not a speck of brown on it (except the trunk of course). :rolleyes: The money tree was my boyfriends "house warming gift" from me when he first moved in with me, signifying hes done being in debt lol, which so far has come true (hope it never dies!).

I just went out and bought a fig ficus, not sure if its too big to turn into a bonsai, but i really liked it regardless. So if its just a regular house plant, that would be okay :) what styles are commonly found with these trees? Like how do people traditionally train them? I can google some pix of what it looks like to get an idea of the specific style.

Squeaker

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
PROFILE UPDATED! I live in zone 9b in fairfield, ca.

When can i prune my new weeping fig ficus? Its too tall and the leaves are too big. From what i gather, i should pinch the leaves off and leave the stems so that they turn into branches, yes? And cut the top down so its shorter? Ive been reading to trim the tree at the Y in the branches/leaf stems. Then when i see new buds, i can transplant it and trim about 25% the roots (if it needs it). Please tell me if this is correct.

The tree probably isnt the best for a beginner, but thats all i could find. It has not been pruned at all, so im basically turning it into a bonsai from scratch. Oh and it has 3 main trunks and 3 or 4 small ones (which ill probably cut off). This tree can be indoors right?? I see them in offices all the time, i cant immagine someone dragging it indoors only during working hours lol. Just checking, because i read on so many sites that i could keep my boxwood indoors, but oooooohhhhh well :rolleyes:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
PROFILE UPDATED! I live in zone 9b in fairfield, ca.

When can i prune my new weeping fig ficus? Its too tall and the leaves are too big. From what i gather, i should pinch the leaves off and leave the stems so that they turn into branches, yes? And cut the top down so its shorter? Ive been reading to trim the tree at the Y in the branches/leaf stems. Then when i see new buds, i can transplant it and trim about 25% the roots (if it needs it). Please tell me if this is correct.

The tree probably isnt the best for a beginner, but thats all i could find. It has not been pruned at all, so im basically turning it into a bonsai from scratch. Oh and it has 3 main trunks and 3 or 4 small ones (which ill probably cut off). This tree can be indoors right?? I see them in offices all the time, i cant immagine someone dragging it indoors only during working hours lol. Just checking, because i read on so many sites that i could keep my boxwood indoors, but oooooohhhhh well :rolleyes:

Start a new thread for your Ficus tree, and post lots of pictures. How much you chop and amount of roots you trim can depend on the type of Ficus you have.

Squeaker

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Whoops, sorry. Got a little sidetract :-> and i should know this, im a total forum junkie lol. Im a member of a forum for each one of my hobbies. Ill get some pix on a new thread tomorrow.

Edit, i know you guys mentioned boxwood does better outdoors, but im not seeing that itll do well in zone 9b... which is were i live. I see upto zone 8. That said, would it still be better outdoors? How about in a sunny window? I dont mind it being outdoors, but i dont want it to die out there either. I do keep my house very cold during winter, like low 50s. (My boyfriend calls me a heater nazi lol). Id assume this would.trick it into thinking its winter? During the summer, the house is around 75-85 and i have 3 large bay windows, one pointing north, one west and one east. Still a no-go?

Last edited:

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Everyones told you it'd do better outside and that is true. But, what Grimlore said is also true that you don't know how it was grown. If the sellers kept it indoors till now it should probably stay indoors for the winter. This sellers pictures remind me of a small pyracantha I bought from ebay last year. I received it in november when it should have been dormant but it was covered with dark green leaves. Obviously that means he'd been growing it in a indoor greenhouse.

If you have a proper indoor setup for bonsai some trees can be grown indoors for a small period of their lives (including boxwood.) But trees need a dormant period most years and you can't keep them indoor year round every single year.

If you choose to keep it indoors this winter and then start its life outside in the spring that won't kill it assuming you can provide the right environment for it. You'll need a strong grow light setup, for one boxwood i'd suggest at least a 250w metal halide. Here's a brand that is convenient for beginners as the ballast is inside the design. http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-SBE...1357901800&sr=8-41&keywords=grow+metal+halide I'm not sure what kelvin temperature this lamp comes wired with but optimally you want to simulate the color of a strong summer days sun about 5500-5600k. Generally bulbs that come in a kit aren't that great and hold a low kelvin like 3000k. I'd suggest getting a Hortilux blue bulb for this lamp if they make a 250w one, a search only turned up 400w bulbs. You could always go with a 400w lamp, but you would have to get a model up from the light I linked to above as it can only support up to 250w.

You'll also need to raise your indoor humidity level considerably. Indoor humidity in the winter is usually down in the teen's, way to low for plant growth. For that you'll need to either section off a room or a part of a room and build a indoor greenhouse or buy one. You'll need a large humidifier to raise the humidity level to something far above what the typical indoor humidity is in the winter. If you can get the level up to 40-50 percent the boxwood will be happy for the winter under the light.

I grow a bourganvillea indoors in the winter fairly happily, as well as several other subtropicals that would die outdoors where I live in NY. I do leave them outside till temps drop into the mid 40's though and they get all the dormancy they need. Last year the pyracantha i bought from a ebay seller was unusually green when i received it out of the growing season so I kept it indoors under my tropical setup all winter. It did great but did not flower in the spring because it missed its dormant period. It may flower next year as this winter it's outside where it should be in the cold. You can keep your boxwood inside no problem with the above setup for one winter but don't do it for more then one or you risk loosing the tree. Trees need to sleep just like us humans.

As for repotting it, don't do it this year. Wait until it's spent an entire year outside including a winter season in your zone and only then should you repot it in early spring. You can tell when boxwood is ready to be repotted in the spring when buds begin to show a green tip all over the tree. 25% is an ok amount to take off the root ball. Assuming you're going to keep it inside this winter, you should let it recover all 2013 outside. Then you can repot it in spring of 2014.

The branches should be easy enough to wire in the summer, boxwood branches are very brittle and I find thats a good time to wire them. They are still more brittle then many deciduous species. Have fun with your new tree but be patient with it esp if your going to keep it indoors this season.

Even with everything above you live in a fairly warm zone 9b. Ask the seller if he/she's been growing it inside up till this point. Even if they say they have if you can protect it from all temps below about 38 leaving it outdoors for the winter is still the best bet. If they say they have been growing it inside and you can't protect it outside from freezing temps this year then you should look into building the above indoor setup. ;) Hope this helps, enjoy your new hobby!

Squeaker

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wow. If i didnt already have both MH and LED lights for my reef fishtank, that would be wayyyyyy too expensive. o_O!?! I could either use my old MH setup (175w 15000k) or i could just set it ontop of my fishtank where my LEDs are. I have kessil LEDs, which were originally devloped as plant grow lights. I have options, but it would be soooo out of the question if i didnt have them already lol. This could turn into a $400 tree really quick!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Edit, i know you guys mentioned boxwood does better outdoors, but im not seeing that itll do well in zone 9b... which is were i live. I see upto zone 8. That said, would it still be better outdoors? How about in a sunny window? I dont mind it being outdoors, but i dont want it to die out there either. I do keep my house very cold during winter, like low 50s. (My boyfriend calls me a heater nazi lol). Id assume this would.trick it into thinking its winter? During the summer, the house is around 75-85 and i have 3 large bay windows, one pointing north, one west and one east. Still a no-go?
You know my answer. ;)

I am at zone 8b (Texas) and they can handle full sun here easily BUT do much better with afternoon shade.

Squeaker

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I contacted the seller. She said it was outside. So i have it outside under my covered patio. It does freeze here at night, this time of year. How should i deal with this? Should i burry the pot in a bigger pot so theres some insulation or should i leave it how it is and cover it with a pillow case at night or will it be fine. At night, it sometimes drops to about 27.

Top Bottom