Hi guys, newbie to the club

intelplatoon

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all, just figured i would say hi and show the beginnings of what im working on..:)
sorry dont know why the pics are sideways :/

Attachments

• 2011-08-02 12.16.59.jpg
    2011-08-02 12.16.59.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 2011-08-02 12.15.28.jpg
    2011-08-02 12.15.28.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 2011-08-02 12.17.40.jpg
    2011-08-02 12.17.40.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 2011-08-02 19.50.57.jpg
    2011-08-02 19.50.57.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 2011-08-02 19.51.57.jpg
    2011-08-02 19.51.57.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Hello all, just figured i would say hi and show the beginnings of what im working on..:)
sorry dont know why the pics are sideways :/

The photo software in your camera or MS Paint (or equivalent), or Photoshop and its clones and semi-clones all have the ability to rotate photographs. Look under "edit" or "image."

If this was taken with a phone camera I haven't the faintest of ideas what features that may have. You will find, however, that phone cameras don't do good pics of bonsai.

But welcome in any event.

BTW, if you discover how to rotate your pictures, you don't need to post a new reply. Just edit your first message (button below), zap the pictures and reload the upright shots.

Last edited:

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Welcome to the NutHouse!

I strongly suggest adding your location to your profile, so it shows up with your username. General location is OK, like "southeast Ohio" or "Texas panhandle." Knowing your general location gives others some idea of your climate and growing conditions, and helps us give more-informed comments and answers.

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Welcome aboard, here you will find an amazing group of individuals with lots of knowledge on the world of bonsai.

Before someone else say it, all the material on the last 4 pictures are what we call, "a stick on a pot", you will probably spent the next 15+ years trying to develop something worth it to be use as a bonsai. Get them out of the pot and put them on the ground and let them grow wild in 5 or 6 years then you will have some decent material to work with.

Another option, depending where do you live, is to go to a local Bonsai nursery, get some 5 gallon Juniper "nana" and have some fun with them, you will be surprise with the material that you can find on those 5 gallon nursery pots. Here on SoCal, you can get a decent 5 gal Juni for about $15 each.

Do some research on pruning,trimming,wiring,soil mixes, re-potting, all this is need it for the life of your bonsai's.

Also highly recommended its to join a local bonsai club, the help they can provide its invaluable.

Good luck on your journey!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey! Pic #4 looks like a Manzanita(?) If so, that is a pretty rare bonsai. It looks healthy as well. Maybe it is something else?

Welcome to the Nut House!

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the site :)

intelplatoon

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the Welcoming everybody. I will put my location in my profile now, but anyways im in good growings Sonoma County California (up northway). The plan for the last three pics is to actually put them in the ground soon. I was thinking maybe i'll wait until after winter though.

@bonsainut - it is a manzanita! I'm pretty excited about it, I bought it at a nursery a few days ago, trimmed it up and did some light wiring on it. i would like to get some heavier wire next spring and get more of a windy look to it. Which i believe can be done while in the ground yes? From what i have read, the trouble will be getting it back into a pot in the next few years.

The first picture is a procumbens nana that was bought for me at japantown in SF. It's sorta what inspired me to step into this world. It started out as somewhat of a boring zigzag tree that im in the process of molding into a cascade style tree. I plan to repot it (successfully?) next spring. With better soil and a taller pot.

:D

fore

Omono
Reaction score
The bark on those manzanita's are stunning! Good Luck!

Top Bottom