Hi speed rotary bits and burnt cambium?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is something I've wondered about. I've seen it claimed that high speed bits should not be used on live edges/cambium because the heat will burn it and it will die back further.
On the other hand I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple members here show approach graft grooves cut with a dremel successfully.
Is it just one of those things that is said to be but is not really based on fact?

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know that I have ever heard that. I guess it would depend on what you are considering a high speed rotary bit. I use a round nose router bit in my Makita. The bit does heat up but it is a cutting action so I don't believe there is much heat going into the tree. I have seen bur bits but never used one. They might heat more because it is more of a grinding action than cutting.

The bark of the tree is made to stand up to heat to some extent. I don't think the heat from carving would do any significant damage.

I believe for any graft you want a clean cut. The cut you would get from a dremel is not that clean. I have not done any grafting so it might be good enough but I would imagine you would want something cleaner.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the thoughts. I don't remember the source of that little tidbit, it was presented in a very assured manner like many things are. I have avoided touching the cambium with those tools since and use a sharp blade instead or after , not really a big deal, just curious.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I never have carved a tree, yet. But I think it shouldnt be too much of a problem. Remember most trees can survive a forest fire. Thats pretty hot...maybe if you used an abrasive bit/tool, and left it in one spot on a hard type of wood it might get too hot.

Top Bottom