Hi

Smivs953

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi everyone, I just wanted to say what a great resource this forum is. I've been reading in the background for the last 4 months and still finding great informative articles and some fantastic threads.

I took the plunge last month and bought a cheap ficus locally as well as a number of seedlings and nursery stock in order to accomplish the first task of keeping trees alive. Other than wiring a larch into a spiral I haven't done anything other than a few slip pots just to understand the impact this could have and learn from any mistakes I make.

Perhaps in 20 years time I might have something that resembles a good bonsai!

Anyway a picture of the larch just for fun but hello again to everyone.20220410_181444.jpg

Cheers,

Smivs

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi everyone, I just wanted to say what a great resource this forum is. I've been reading in the background for the last 4 months and still finding great informative articles and some fantastic threads.

I took the plunge last month and bought a cheap ficus locally as well as a number of seedlings and nursery stock in order to accomplish the first task of keeping trees alive. Other than wiring a larch into a spiral I haven't done anything other than a few slip pots just to understand the impact this could have and learn from any mistakes I make.

Perhaps in 20 years time I might have something that resembles a good bonsai!

Anyway a picture of the larch just for fun but hello again to everyone.View attachment 433968

Cheers,

Smivs
Looks like you're in the right place for the right reasons. Welcome aboard!

Don't worry about how long it takes to get to a, "good bonsai." You'd be surprised what can be accomplished in a just a couple growing seasons, especially as you learn to identify raw material with potential, and the differences in growth rates and habits of different species.

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’m very new here too and I spend the majority of my time reading, reading and reading more like you. I’m currently getting connected with the Bonsai community in my city as well as individuals because I hear that is invaluable in the learning process. I have to admit though, I’ve had to get my hands on a few things like you and give them a try. :) I agree, this is a great resource to learn and so fun! Welcome to the journey.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site! Nice strawberries!

Best thing you could do is join a local club so you could surround yourself with more experienced folk. There appears to be a club in Somerset - and they are having a show at the end of the month(!)

Taunton and Somerset Bonsai Club

Top Bottom