Hinoki cypress- a fool's errand?

Newish in Oregon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Someone on Craigslist is looking to get a Hinoki cypress out of his yard. Says it's been in the ground 8-10 years and is ~20' tall; I'm guessing the first branch is ~2' off the ground and, as you can see, the trunk is ramrod straight. So, if I can get it out of the ground, should I? Take it down to ~3' and pray for back-budding? Other thoughts? Or just walk away?
CraigsList Hinoki Cypress.jpg

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
They are not very good at backbudding...
Unfortunately.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Well you can try grafting to get lower branches and cut it down progressively, but see if the trunk have any movement or taper first

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I would chop it and jin the top. See if it would transplant. I like the grafting idea, never grafted cypress

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hinoki Cypress will not backbud on old wood, without leaving some foliage on the branch being pruned. Topping this one may, or may not result in backbudding to build a new apex from. Best bet if you you shorten it is to prune back to a branch with foliage and use it...Personally, I would bother with this one...trunk's too straight and taperless, it's going to be a hassle in development. Only thing it may have going for it could be the nebari (root crown) Older in ground trees can sometimes have good nebari to work with...Take a look lower down...

Top Bottom