Hinoki cypress - air layer success story?

John K

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anyone have any success air layering a hinoki? Have a healthy and mature (20 ft.) west-facing landscape tree that the previous homeowner planted 10" from the foundation, so the plan was to have it removed ... would prefer to try my hand for the first time at air layering. Ample branches along the full height of the tree which gives some hope, but maybe the fact that backbudding is difficult would render this a waste of time to try. Seems that other posts on the hinoki share that it's very difficult to accomplish. (Zone 6a)

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've never attempted to layer, but I have struck plenty of cuttings of both dwarf and sekka hinoki with about 50% success rate with no special treatment. I would imagine that layering is possible. When layering in general, vertical branches/trunks are typically more successful than horizontal. Be sure to layer near strongly growing foliage, as they do not back bud readily.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
John, as Stan implied, Hinoki issues roots relatively easy. Whichever technique you use just make sure the layer doesn't dry out during the process. They don't do well with overly wet or dry. I use ring bark and whatever good rooting hormone I have at the time. Success is 100% of the few dozen I've done. Qualifier, only layer strong trees.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

John K

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
John, as Stan implied, Hinoki issues roots relatively easy. Whichever technique you use just make sure the layer doesn't dry out during the process. They don't do well with overly wet or dry. I use ring bark and whatever good rooting hormone I have at the time. Success is 100% of the few dozen I've done. Qualifier, only layer strong trees.
Makes sense, thank you, well advised.

John K

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've never attempted to layer, but I have struck plenty of cuttings of both dwarf and sekka hinoki with about 50% success rate with no special treatment. I would imagine that layering is possible. When layering in general, vertical branches/trunks are typically more successful than horizontal. Be sure to layer near strongly growing foliage, as they do not back bud readily.
Good advice and makes sense to do the layer as close to the strongest new growth as possible.

Top Bottom