Hinoki Cypress development

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Not even sure what to call this style. But here is one of my Chameocyparis obtusa’s development so far. Unsure what to do about the non sweeping, upright part. Was thinking about wiring it up to create a second taller part or sacrificing it to thicken trunk. 0195DBBE-F68E-41A1-93D0-F10235982EE6.jpeg

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Windswept is a very difficult style to pull off convincingly. Particularly when only half the tree is that style. It looks like you have three branches coming from the same point in the tree. Ask yourself if you have ever seen a tree that looks like that.

If that was my tree, I would be inclined to add movement to the smaller trunk, wire the branches you have and Jin the larger trunk. That big one is pretty straight and almost taperless.

Keep trying though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like a decent start. My opinion is that of a newb so don't put to much weight in it. Watch what you trim regarding foliage on Hinoki. They do not back bud on old wood. Once you cut it, it's gone. If it were mine, I would focus more on that single upright as a new leader for your tree. The branches you have wired will probably not provide you with any taper. That small upright has more potential in my opinion unless some new growth sprouts down lower on the other one. The wire can be left until it cuts in so watch carefully. Let it grow!

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks guys. Still unsure about smaller trunk, was planning on at the very least leaving it to help trunk grow bigger. But for sure needs more movement if kept, just haven't been able to decide how to approach yet. Definitely very aware of Hinoki being unable to backbud.

I think I'm going to continue the windswept side for now, a few people have pointed out the branches being from close to same point which is a shame. Maybe I'll sacrifice one at some point. They are not coming from same exact point, but different areas around the circumference of that area; but yes essentially same spot.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Looks like a decent start. My opinion is that of a newb so don't put to much weight in it. Watch what you trim regarding foliage on Hinoki. They do not back bud on old wood. Once you cut it, it's gone. If it were mine, I would focus more on that single upright as a new leader for your tree. The branches you have wired will probably not provide you with any taper. That small upright has more potential in my opinion unless some new growth sprouts down lower on the other one. The wire can be left until it cuts in so watch carefully. Let it grow!

I want to make sure I am reading this correctly; am I supposed to leave the wire on until it starts to cut the branches?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I want to make sure I am reading this correctly; am I supposed to leave the wire on until it starts to cut the branches?
I guess I should have probably said that better. What I mean is to watch the branches once you wire them. I have a false cypress that I wired a branch on and it cut in quite quickly. I would save the wiring for fall time frame. The wires may cut in quickly during the growing season. Again I am no expert. You have already wired so just watch the branches.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is one that I worked on today. It is one of my very small trees. The base is a little bit larger than a pencil. I guy wired that lower branch to try and see if it will twin trunk it for me. IMG_4345.jpg

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Cool little tree! I bet you’ll get it to do it.

I read they can take some time for wire to set. Would next spring in theory be enough time for it to harden? I had planned on waiting until fall but I guess I forgot about that. I actually wired a second Hinoki last night. Will keep a close eye on both.

Top Bottom