Hinoki Cypress from stock nusery

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got this Hinoki Cypress "Compacta" from a garden nursery and was wondering if this has any potential? It's in a 5 gallon pot with a 2 inch trunk, and approximately 27 inches tall.

I'll wait until next year to repot it but I"m trying to get some ideas on what to do with the styling.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Hinoki Cypress_close.jpg
    Hinoki Cypress_close.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 208
  • Hinoki Cypress_far.jpg
    Hinoki Cypress_far.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The trunk is really 5"???!!! That's pretty huge for a 5 gal container plant. I know that hinoki make good bonsai subjects, but I've not had one, so can't speak to this one. But 5"???really!!!

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
i'll recheck, maybe i can't read a ruler! :rolleyes:

Update: I told you I can't read a ruler! It's about 2inches.

Last edited:

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I think it looks like a great choice. The bottom two lower branches would likely go. They're nice and thick and don't come off at the same level so that gives the trunk a nice taper as it goes up. I think the most important consideration would be if the branches above have foliage close to the trunk or not.
I think it DOES look like it has potential.
Ian
p.s. but I don't have any Hinoki so let's hear what some other folks have to say.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it looks like a great choice. The bottom two lower branches would likely go. They're nice and thick and don't come off at the same level so that gives the trunk a nice taper as it goes up. I think the most important consideration would be if the branches above have foliage close to the trunk or not.
I think it DOES look like it has potential.
Ian
p.s. but I don't have any Hinoki so let's hear what some other folks have to say.

I'm going to try to remove the top soil to see how far the trunks goes down. Maybe it's deep enough to keep that lower branch. Thanks for helping.

xray360

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
Hi. I have 3 cypress, and the most important thing to know is they do not backbud on old wood. Before removing any branches or thinning out branches put a lot of thought into it as you work up the tree. You really need to see moves ahead like a chess game :) I can show you mine if you like I got all mine from homedepot. Another user october, has a really nice one and he helped me out.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
On Saturday at NEBG, I finally went was able to style this Hinoki cypress with the aid of another BNut member, October. October guided me through the process of determining the layout of the tree along with pruning/wiring and after 5 hours of work, this is the the finished product!

The half cut bottom-most branch was will be removed next spring when I repot the tree.

Before
Hinoki Cypress_far.jpg

After
Hinoki Cypress_063013.jpg

I can't give enough props to October, he put a lot of time and sweat working with me on this tree! :D

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think this tree is going to amaze you ,probably even next year.I say so by seeing xray's hinoki progress.So much so that I was scouring the nursery's last week looking for one and I had no real luck.They actually seem pretty easy to take care of,I was watching a bjorvala's video and was real easy to trim.

Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Sly, it's good that we left what we did. All that's left is to let it grow completely untouched for 1 year. Then you can contemplate some things. You might want to remove one of the bottom branches and we will see how the apex develops. Either way, if it does lose a branch, I think that it can be replaced with something.:D

Rob

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i'll recheck, maybe i can't read a ruler! :rolleyes:

Update: I told you I can't read a ruler! It's about 2inches.

LOL...I think you do not need to consult a ruler to know 2" vs 5" ;) :eek: Maybe it is true that some men do tend to exaggerate. :eek: LOL (just having fun here...hope you don't mind).

Good find though and would like to see it develop. :)

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow that really came out looking good. Looking forward to future updates.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice work Above and Rob. Looks good

I saw them working on this and I can verify the sweating part.
Man it was warm in that greenhouse.

xray360

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
It looks great! It's a nice feeling to see a tree come out underneath all that foliage.

Top Bottom