Hinoki cypress ground layer? When? Success rate?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ive got a love affair for hinoki Cypress and am always looking around for the right tree. Well at Home Depot recently I found they were carrying several Hinoki Obtusa variety BnB for $80. I picked one up after going to two different HD stores in town and choosing the one with the best trunk movement. I had not purchased Hinoki in the past due to the bulge of a graft line I was always seeing. These appeared to not be grafted. Well I got it home bare rooted it and found a nice big bulge hiding under the burlap. DAM!! Def not my best purchase. I did the bare root several weeks ago and seems to have begun pushing new growth. I’m confident it’ll live at this point. Now to the point. Ive got the tree, the trunk is decent and I want to make something of it. Even if it takes 10 years.

Has anyone had success with ground layering Hinoki cypress? Ive poured through the net with very limited articles and posts here on Bnut. I can’t find a definitive answer to the difficulty of the proposition. I’m going to just need to make it happen at some point. Probably next spring/early summer. Any tips or advice that may be specific to this species for a ground layer?
E86FF884-BF46-48FA-B7F8-BEA434B88C8A.jpeg
64AF5014-8050-491B-B32B-4CE2338184EE.jpegF1477947-B490-4F62-95D0-229AE7343A2E.jpeg

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ive got a love affair for hinoki Cypress and am always looking around for the right tree. Well at Home Depot recently I found they were carrying several Hinoki Obtusa variety BnB for $80. I picked one up after going to two different HD stores in town and choosing the one with the best trunk movement. I had not purchased Hinoki in the past due to the bulge of a graft line I was always seeing. These appeared to not be grafted. Well I got it home bare rooted it and found a nice big bulge hiding under the burlap. DAM!! Def not my best purchase. I did the bare root several weeks ago and seems to have begun pushing new growth. I’m confident it’ll live at this point. Now to the point. Ive got the tree, the trunk is decent and I want to make something of it. Even if it takes 10 years.

Has anyone had success with ground layering Hinoki cypress? Ive poured through the net with very limited articles and posts here on Bnut. I can’t find a definitive answer to the difficulty of the proposition. I’m going to just need to make it happen at some point. Probably next spring/early summer. Any tips or advice that may be specific to this species for a ground layer?
View attachment 377206
View attachment 377207View attachment 377208
I got me one of those HD Hinokis a few years ago, and the same thing, I thought it wasn't grafted, even dug in to check. But what I found was not only two branches buried but a nasty big graft. I researched ground layering and found literature to support success. I can't remember off hand what time of year it suggested. When I went to style the tree I discovered that I could drop some branches in such a way that it hid the graft fairly well. I think I'm going to live with the graft for a while. Not much help but try pruning and drop a few branches to see how it looks. Nice foliage on that guy. Looks good. Here's mine.20200215_145741~2.jpg20210423_190444~2.jpg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any update here? I’m curious!
I opted away from the ground layer approach and basically found the right viewing angle paired with proper carving of a Shari to disguise the graft. Very pleased with the results.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks good! I got similar advice and decided against those options too. Then I saw your post and was wondering if you attempted it or not. Keep up the good work on this tree it’s coming along nicely.

Top Bottom