Hinoki Cypress Nursery Stock Find

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked up a hinoki cypress because it's a species of tree I just dont have in my collection. I'm currently really enjoying Shohin trees and found a small hinoki to experiment on.

It was a considerable pruning, took around 50% off to open up the interior. I've noticed the foliage is pretty tight growing and is close to the trunk. I slip potted it and is now in the shade.

Attachments

• 20210707_210256.jpg
    20210707_210256.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 198
  • 20210707_135338.jpg
    20210707_135338.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 194

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good eye finding and imagining the possibilities for this tree.

Just my thinking and practice…..I’d cover those roots, the tree appears to be planted to high right now especially on the right side of the photo. I value roots on new material.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man. I wish I could fin and ungrafted nursery Hinoki around here. Great find and nice work so far.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How aggressive were you with the roots? I picked up a B&B Hinoki this spring and fully bare rooted the tree. It responded very well. I followed the “taking the Hinoki cypress” article you can find online.

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Damn that puts my Nursery Hinoki attempt to shame! The one I experimented with had awfully long branches and they were almost all in the same plane opposing each other so the tree ended up with no depth.

Can I ask how you went about styling this tree? I'm struggling hard with styling my Hinoki but I want to try again. My big hurdle is bending the branches downward without breaking them. Not sure if it's me or if the tree is just too mature

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How aggressive were you with the roots? I picked up a B&B Hinoki this spring and fully bare rooted the tree. It responded very well. I followed the “taking the Hinoki cypress” article you can find online.
Not aggressive this was slip potted into a larger terracotta pot.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good eye finding and imagining the possibilities for this tree.

Just my thinking and practice…..I’d cover those roots, the tree appears to be planted to high right now especially on the right side of the photo. I value roots on new material.
You're right, it is on a slight tilt. Since this was slip potted, I'll just move some of the soil around and bury the roots.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn that puts my Nursery Hinoki attempt to shame! The one I experimented with had awfully long branches and they were almost all in the same plane opposing each other so the tree ended up with no depth.

Can I ask how you went about styling this tree? I'm struggling hard with styling my Hinoki but I want to try again. My big hurdle is bending the branches downward without breaking them. Not sure if it's me or if the tree is just too mature
I definitely had a style in mind, for me hinoki's are stately trees and would look best to me as an in-between of a formal upright. I had a lot to work with as this tree had so much branching in it there was a ton of mush in the center. This tree had very pliable branches, probably a maturity thing as you've mentioned.

mds_1978

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's some nice work! I have a couple of nursery hinokis I've been meaning to have a go at, now I have some inspiration.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wanted to report, it's been almost 2 years and I repotted it into a pot my wife built. I should have repotted it sooner, the soil medium was atrocious... It was basically wood chips. It's in bonsai soil now and is a happy little camper!
340914518_244641651256316_2188579722660255304_n.jpg

Top Bottom