Hinoki Cypress Nursery Stock questions

Baker

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi everyone! I am pretty new to bonsai. I just joined this forum community. I have accumulated 4 trees that can be safely called developed bonsai, 3 potted into bonsai pots that are in training to become bonsai, 2 cuttings growing furiously, and a porch full of nursery stock. I guess you could say I’ve thrown myself into it. My question today is about hinoki cypress trees. I would like to know some information from y’all on how best to develop them from nursery stock. Roots first, or foliage? Should I leave in nursery pot if roots are peeking through the bottom?
Any information would be really helpful about the species and nursery stock.

Ive only managed to kill one of all my trees so far and that was a beautiful developed juniper I purchased and reported into a cascade pot. It didn’t make it :(. I just did the “do it all at once” method of nursery stock with a Japanese Holly, so we will se how that goes....

I really appreciate any help.
Thank you.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heres a few good places to start!

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi everyone! I am pretty new to bonsai. I just joined this forum community. I have accumulated 4 trees that can be safely called developed bonsai, 3 potted into bonsai pots that are in training to become bonsai, 2 cuttings growing furiously, and a porch full of nursery stock. I guess you could say I’ve thrown myself into it. My question today is about hinoki cypress trees. I would like to know some information from y’all on how best to develop them from nursery stock. Roots first, or foliage? Should I leave in nursery pot if roots are peeking through the bottom?
Any information would be really helpful about the species and nursery stock.

Ive only managed to kill one of all my trees so far and that was a beautiful developed juniper I purchased and reported into a cascade pot. It didn’t make it :(. I just did the “do it all at once” method of nursery stock with a Japanese Holly, so we will se how that goes....

I really appreciate any help.
Thank you.
Welcome. You need to get your location into your info so you can get the most relevant information from members. And those articles that Hartinez suggested are chocked full of information on Hinoki. I've used those references myself.

Top Bottom