Hinoki Cypress Pre Bonsai Leads

hampton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Since discovering bonsai I've been obsessed with hinoki cypress. Well I wasn't aware they were hinoki initially but as it turns out that was the case.

To the point - I'm looking to purchase hinoki pre bonsai stock that ideally hasn't been grafted or minimally doesn't have significant swelling at the graft site. Ideally something a bit older that doesn't require ground growing but beggars can't be choosers. I've looked locally and haven't found much - if I can't find anything online I'll wait a few weeks and head back to the nursery for more investigation

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Since discovering bonsai I've been obsessed with hinoki cypress. Well I wasn't aware they were hinoki initially but as it turns out that was the case.

To the point - I'm looking to purchase hinoki pre bonsai stock that ideally hasn't been grafted or minimally doesn't have significant swelling at the graft site. Ideally something a bit older that doesn't require ground growing but beggars can't be choosers. I've looked locally and haven't found much - if I can't find anything online I'll wait a few weeks and head back to the nursery for more investigation
Mountain Meadows in Weaverville NC has good stuff

hampton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’ll be in the Charlotte area visiting family in late July - maybe I can sneak away while they’re occupied with the baby…

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’ll be in the Charlotte area visiting family in late July - maybe I can sneak away while they’re occupied with the baby…
Also check out Appledoorn Landscape Nursery. It's about half the distance - just south of South Mountains State Park. They also have a lot of Japanese White Pine cultivars, if you're looking.

Here is their current inventory list

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also check out Appledoorn Landscape Nursery. It's about half the distance - just south of South Mountains State Park. They also have a lot of Japanese White Pine cultivars, if you're looking.

Here is their current inventory list
I went last weekend, he mainly has grafted stuff, between the two nurseries I like the stock at mountain meadows currently better. I picked up a decent Tsukomo up there for 60 bucks. Also that inventory list is from 2018, Appeldorns had some decent sized junipers; parsoni and shimpaku

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What sort of hinoki cypress are you looking at? There are many varieties.
Personally, I am starting to collect sekka hinoki.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I went last weekend, he mainly has grafted stuff, between the two nurseries I like the stock at mountain meadows currently better. I picked up a decent Tsukomo up there for 60 bucks. Also that inventory list is from 2018, Appeldorns had some decent sized junipers; parsoni and shimpaku
I'm glad Mountain Meadows restocked. When I was up there last the inventory felt pretty picked-over.

Top Bottom