Hinoki Cypress Repot

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There are some things you have to realize that there are some things about Hinokis that you should take note of. First: they do not back bud well: Once you remove the green stuff you pretty much will not get any growth back down that bare branch. The branch will simply continue growing out away from the center of the tree. If you are not careful you wind up with pom-poms at the ends of all you branches. Second: They like a good deal more water than your Pines but like good drainage, they are a lot like Mugo Pines in that they need to breath. This means water in and water out, watch to make sure the tree is evenly moist, neither too dry or wet. Third: They can be grown from cuttings but are difficult. I have only recently succeeded to root one. I am certain that many of you are better at taking cuttings than I, so go for it. It is better to have a stop over for your prunings than just the compost pit. If you are successful you have another tree worth developing.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thought I’d post an update on this tree since it’s been awhile. I decided on this particular one that I would develop the foliage pads primarily by pinching. Still a long way to go, but they’re kind of getting that look about them. I’m still slowly chasing the length of the bottom two pads back. D83131F5-1130-41F2-842A-562BDF76722F.jpeg
Also, just for fun here is the tree when I first got it.

040F70B1-1F56-41BF-9D07-69D8EEF8EF0A.jpeg

Top Bottom