Hinoki literati??

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello.

I know it's difficult to tell from pictures. But do you think this Hinoki Cypress has potential to become a literati style?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20200220_140244.jpg
    20200220_140244.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 20200220_140258.jpg
    20200220_140258.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 20200220_140305.jpg
    20200220_140305.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 121

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The trunk is too ordinary. Literati are primarily exhibitions of a tortured or otherwise very interesting trunk sometimes the result of a branch or a series of redirects of a leader continuing or becoming the main trunk line, but your branches are too ordinary and standard branch-like, too. Even if you could obtain back-budding closer in to a trunk-line someplace, you'd be years away from doing anything "interesting" with the trunk-line. Taper is everything. Lack of significant taper down to close to zero where a small amount of foliage confirms the hardship of hanging on to life is the other half of the equation. It's been suggested that you don't create a Literati, you obtain a good prospect and refine it. I agree with that.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If this is a tree in your garden that isn't very important to the landscape, give it a shot! If you get a basic idea of what branches you know serve no purpose in your design, give em the chop. If it looks like it fits more an informal than literati design, then go with that. I love hinoki, and think you can amuse yourself with this one. Let us know what you do.👍

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
not a good option for literati.

Leave this hinoki in the landscape, zero bonsai potential in the hands of a beginner. Some bonsai potential in the hands of an advanced bonsai horticulturist, but most advanced growers would not bother, because it would be too much work for the mediocre potential result.

Grafting is the main method I would use to "salvage" the oldest portion of the trunk. It would be tedious work, requiring several years of work. I probably would not bother.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hello.

I know it's difficult to tell from pictures. But do you think this Hinoki Cypress has potential to become a literati style?

Thank you in advance.
Yes there is a strong possibility for that choice but it depends on you and your ability to see the style in the material. Here is a version I have been working on for about four years.

DSC_0658 copy.JPG

Top Bottom