Hinoki maddness

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm, sounds like Id be better waiting to repot in Springtime as normal for the best possible outcomes.
Late spring into early summer when its pushing bright green new growth.
You can also bare root them if you have the nerve.

bwaynef

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After styling that second one above, **blah blah**

Grabbed it about 8 months later and it had enough interest to give it a rough style. See below
Word of advice: After removing large amounts of foliage on a hinoki, don't move it into bright sun for the rest of the year. I've got burn all over this one now.

Japonicus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6ab
This showed up on my Instagram feed today. None other than Boon..WOW

View attachment 257481
Dang! He makes it look so simple. All that foliage so tight in to the trunk. yeh WOW indeed!
Not sure if it's poor resolution or what, but that foliage sure has a golden hinoki resemblance.
I don't like how the background is in focus to the right of the trunk, some on the left and blurred
elsewhere including the foliage on both sides at the extremities. Tree deserves better showmanship.

bwaynef

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't like how the background is in focus to the right of the trunk, some on the left and blurred
elsewhere including the foliage on both sides at the extremities. Tree deserves better showmanship.
I'd be willing to bet he took that picture using his iphone in portrait mode. It detects the subject and applies a blur mask to what it thinks is the background.

BuckeyeOne

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I saw this one at the nursery and hadn't seen Hinoki "Compacta" before.
Has an interesting trunk with some movement and a second large branch to the left of what I see as the front. The branch is hard to see in the pictures through all the foliage close to the trunk.
I was tied to a bamboo stake to promote upright grow which I liberated it from.
Should I restake and let grow to promote trunk development or chop at this time?
Buck.

Attachments

Maloghurst

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Letting grow bigger is all up to your preference. I personally would not hard prune at this time of year.
I would repot in spring and you could prune then also, if you leave a lot of foliage. When you repot you will find something good or bad beneath the soil. Usually there is flare of some sort.
I would consider a taller more slender tree though. As higher up is where all the best branches are.
Then again late summer repotting is all the rage right now.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I saw this one at the nursery and hadn't seen Hinoki "Compacta" before.
Has an interesting trunk with some movement and a second large branch to the left of what I see as the front. The branch is hard to see in the pictures through all the foliage close to the trunk.
I was tied to a bamboo stake to promote upright grow which I liberated it from.
Should I restake and let grow to promote trunk development or chop at this time?
Buck.
Interesting, but cannot make up anything from this pics since they are all taken from the view giants have on tree's!

Are you willing to take a picture from up front and preferably in front of a background existing from one collor?

I would not chop anything big yet as the design is still unknown and it's hard to prune parts back on ;)

Thinning it a bit is something you can do now I guess clean all the dead twigs on the inside and prune the foliage a little (no more then 30%)so it gets a little les dense to help and get the important inner parts some more light
also thining it Wil give you a better sight on the branching to look for styling options.
You mention a fat branch on the left I always try to look for the smallest tree in something and strong low placed side branches are often usable as the new trunk line but cannot tell if it is from this pics
Goodluck and looking forward to your progress