Hinoki maddness

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The photos of these two trees do not provide enough clearity, detail or uncluttered color and detail. I am not even sure wht they look like. This is a constant problem with people who come to this forum, not taking enough time concentrating on taking photos.

arreaux

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I trained and shown a Hinoki back in 88. I don't have the original photos, but I do have prints.
The first pic is when just trimmed, wired and repotted in Aug. '88.
I was only 3 years a novice at the art of Bonsai.
Hinoki tree 1b 1988.jpg
The second pic was after turning it around and removed the lower two branches and new pot in spring '92.
Hinoki tree 1b 1992.jpg
This last photo was taken in '98 just before it was liberated from my possession. It had won many ribbons and a couple best in show at local fair. I actually had one of the other Bonsai exhibitors accuse me of importing it from Japan. After the initial wiring it was pinch, pinch and pinch. I would hold sections of the pads and just pinch the longer shoots. This technique made it fill in quite well. Only fingers because trimming with scissors makes the tips of the shoots brown.
I also found it like the soil moist, but not damp. And I always had to remove the moss growing around it. If you don't watch it the most would try to grow up the base of trunk.
Hinoki tree 1b 1998.jpg

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just watched a couple Crank Yankers and I'm not sure this is real or my computer has been taken over...

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bought this Thoweil Hinoki in the spring and chopped it pretty good. I let it sit over the summer and fall just sitting there because it never spoke to me. Well today I was looking at it and thought I'd see what I had. After a little cleaning and wire I think I'm off to a good start.271425271426

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
The photos of these two trees do not provide enough clearity, detail or uncluttered color and detail. I am not even sure what they look like. This is a constant problem with people who come to this forum, not taking enough time concentrating on taking photos.
Sorry Vance, I guess I was in too much of a hurry to show them to you. Also, the pots are over 100# and they are tough to rearrange for better lighting.

Attachments

• Apol's Hinoki's 2019 (3).JPG
    Apol's Hinoki's 2019 (3).JPG
    338.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Apol's Hinoki's 2019 (2).JPG
    Apol's Hinoki's 2019 (2).JPG
    314.3 KB · Views: 119

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
DSC_3903.JPG
Just in off the truck from California, 5 "dwarfs". Haven't looked at the roots yet, getting a cold snap coming in, will leave as is till Sunday.

Labeled 3 dwarf Golden Cypress, a dwarf White Cedar, and Arborvitae.
The hinoki are exactly the same size of my gold hinoki bonsai when I bought it at least 10 years ago,
1581632477231.png 1581632535138.png
Which is showing some signs of a struggle heading into this Winter late last Fall.
It was due to get a new pot this Spring, now I'm not sure if that's a good idea.
Anyway, since it started this behavior, I decided to get a couple back ups.
They do not seem to be the same variety of Golden hinoki.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don't know what to tell you about the new arrivals. Understanding wherre they came from and where they now, raises more questions than I would care to address at present. You need to get then in under shelter with them mulched up to the top of the pot and some sort of barier placed on the sun side of the tree that will keep them from getting warm enough to start budding. You do not want them to become active until at lest the middle of April, earl May if possible.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you about the new arrivals. Understanding wherre they came from and where they now, raises more questions than I would care to address at present. You need to get then in under shelter with them mulched up to the top of the pot and some sort of barier placed on the sun side of the tree that will keep them from getting warm enough to start budding. You do not want them to become active until at lest the middle of April, earl May if possible.
Thanks Vance. Trees came from a closing nursery in Grand Rapids area ( they had been planted in the yard as specimen trees for over 30 years). Already have them in my new hoop house and won't see them till spring.

Attachments

• Hoop House first snowfall 11102019.jpg
    Hoop House first snowfall 11102019.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 72

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I picked this one up last year and repotted it and got rid of a few branches. It survived. I like the tree and it has a good amount of close foliage. I’ve settled on the front being somewhere between pic 2 & 3. Possibly try to ground layer in the future. What do you all think?CF09FAD6-3D86-49D7-94AB-C2664750B811.jpegEF5C6121-31EC-4F96-A78D-ECF229AC7135.jpegB97126AE-D8E6-4038-B7F9-D74E81E2C939.jpeg

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got this Hinoki last fall as nursery stock and the weather has everything waking up around here, so I decided to get it out of as much of the clay that it was in without barerooting it and putting it in a pot.20200215_145815.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's a hinoki I bought last summer at a local nursery, variety "Baby Doll"

Last photo is initial styling, and it looked like the graft was forming an enlarged trunk base but alas, it was localized to just the graft as I discovered after pruning the roots. Now I'll have to fix it, I'll probably try cutting the trunk (the slitting method), and if that fails then maybe a ground layer just below the graft.

Attachments

• 20190910_212225.jpg
    20190910_212225.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 71
  • hinoki1t7y56.jpg
    hinoki1t7y56.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20191016_183954.jpg
    20191016_183954.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 82

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would not worry about the graft at this point, if you succeed in developing a decent nebari at the base the nebari will over time make the graft look reasonable.
You would be better served by working on your wiring skills.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah, the initial wiring of this tree was pretty bad. Maybe it's no excuse, but wiring for me isn't like riding a bike, I get rusty and have to start almost from the beginning. Plus I'm not great with copper and mixed copper with aluminum because I didn't have all the gauges... bottom line is, you're right.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here’s an update from post #7 in this thread. I just repotted it into a ceramic pot almost as big as the kitty litter box it was in when the earlier photo was shot. The roots had grown out into the new soil and filled in where I made the oie shaped cutouts. I raked out the roots and cut some off the bottom and it dropped into this pot. It still sits a bit highr than I wiuld like but that will be cut down more in future repots. Right now I have it wired to pull the longer branches back in closer to the trunk and also am busy pinching the foliage to develop larger pads. Over the coming years it will fill in and hopefully the trunk will thicken a bit more.

CBD3E68D-454C-4E9F-9611-BA3D29DB5CBE.jpeg

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is a hinoki 'contorta' that I picked up and bare rooted last year. I removed the top third of the tree and am now just letting it recover for a couple of years. I've killed all my other hinokis, so this one will go slow. I had some minor dieback over the winter, so I removed them but didn't touch any other foliage.

20190604_112024[1].jpg

Top Bottom