Hinoki Obtusa Compacta suitability

wharf_rat78

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
No other variety/cultivar information. Been eyeing one at a nursery and can’t find much info. Anyone have experience with this in terms of general suitability for bonsai?

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have no experience with this specific variety so keep that in mind. It’s been my experience that any Hinoki is difficult to grow as bonsai. Maybe it’s just my dry climate but I have had very little success keeping Hinoki alive and looking pristine.

wharf_rat78

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have no experience with this specific variety so keep that in mind. It’s been my experience that any Hinoki is difficult to grow as bonsai. Maybe it’s just my dry climate but I have had very little success keeping Hinoki alive and looking pristine.
Yeah I hear the same. Something about them is just sexy. I live in NC and we are hot but usually humid. If I got it I might keep it in the nursery container if the situation is not bad - do structural stuff and wait and see before repotting.

Wish I could find something on the cultivar - very little out there. Thanks for the reply.

wharf_rat78

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Theyre Very slow growing so dont expect an instant bonsai!

Well I was thinking a regimen of 5x miracle gro would whip this twig into shape by the end of the summer :)

Kidding aside, wish I’d taken a picture - I love this because it has a massive trunk without being terribly tall, and great lines that jump right out at me from the nursery pot. Plenty of well placed branches which can move, good strong foliage throughout.

I know. It’s the classic boy-meets-hinoki-obtusa-compacta tale. Everyone is trying to warn me. I know!

Top Bottom