Hinoki Sekka price check

themage

Seed
Reaction score
I hear that the Sekka is very rare and I have the change to buy this one but it would be my first major purchase... it's around $1,200 (US)

Is it worth it?

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Where are you located? Has tree form but looks pretty messy inside.
They definitely root from cuttings so if your into that you could have value.
Have you seen it in person?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is your experience level? I see it is your first post and that is a chunk of change. You could buy a dozen bonsai starters for that kind of money ... or a used car.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sekka are very hard to find, especially in the US. I have asked nurserymen here about them and they look at me lke I am from Mars so rarity may account for part of the cost. Since you appear to be in the UK take a day trip down to Heron’s Bonsai (south of London) and see what Peter Chan is selling these for. You may find something in his nursery you like even better.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I had bought a couple 'Sekka' from Brussel's Bonsai, Olive Branch Mississippi. Bought them in 2016. They were starter plants, maybe 1 inch diameter trunks for about $75 each. I would guess they were 10 years old or older, they were in 6 inch bulb pans. They were one of those things where they only had a few, at the back of a bench filled with more mundane trees.

In the USA they are around, and they are not very expensive for younger material. Older mature material can be pricey. Not having an accurate sense of scale from the photo I would say the tree pictured is good, but the price seems pretty high. If you like it, and that kind of money does not harm your dependants, go for it. It is true that Hinoki 'Sekka' is not a ''beginners'' tree. They are difficult to style and maintain. The horticulture is not difficult, but keeping foliage where you want it is a unique skill set.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Not sure where you are?This seems a lot of money for Chamaecyparis obtusa Sekka. There is this similar cultivar now on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HINOKI-CYPRESS-/264334476759 asking £365 plus £15.00 delivery.
I owned one which I started from a £15 garden centre specimen and I sold it 2 years ago Nice tree but difficult to keep looking good- it didnt like dry summer conditions even here in UK climate! All the growth is on tips, they never backbud so they won't produce new interior branches.

themage

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks all. So further research tells me that they are extremely slow growers and previous comments confirm that they’re difficult to style. I’m not a beginner and I can afford it but I’ve mostly grown my own from seedlings and had good luck with yamadori (free!) so I never had to spend this much and wasn’t sure.

I will sleep on it over the weekend but now my excitement has gone down and whilst it seems like a unique chance I’ve learned that those come up quite often with bonsai as I seem to be able to like most things I see haha

To answer other comments. Yes I’m in UK and I’ve search alternatives including Herons. Sadly they are are quite rare here.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I didn’t realize that they were so rare and expensive. I could swear I see them from time to time at the local nurseries. I live in the Pacific Northwest and see a huge variety of conifers, some familiar and lots more that are unfamiliar. Now I am going to keep an eye out for them.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I hear that the Sekka is very rare and I have the change to buy this one but it would be my first major purchase... it's around $1,200 (US)

Is it worth it?

View attachment 247394

seems a bit much, maybe youre just paying for the rarity of it. personally never heard of sekka. the variety most sought after is hinoki cypress, i would wait until a good hinoki pops up, sometimes they show up on kaizen bonsai.

for the money this ezo spruce is a better buy imo £765
p1370757.jpg

in fact, any of these is a better buy

if hell bent on hinoki, check some of the facebook bonsai for sale groups UK

Top Bottom