Hinoki SOS

faker

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Really struggling with making a decision on styling this hinoki (nana gracilis I believe?) and could use some guidance.

Bought this tree in 2018, grew it out for a few months, and styled it into an "instant bonsai", but I cut a lot of corners twisting things into place leaving a lot of flaws..
icjZK0o.jpgoOQ9hsu.jpg

The tree started struggling in 2019, so I took off the wire and essentially left it untouched to recover up until now. It's doing better recently, but now looks like a total mess:

IMG_0415.jpgIMG_0412.jpgIMG_0413.jpgIMG_0414.jpg

Questions I have:
1. Choice of front? I've thought about switching it to the back view with the exposed wound (planning to carve soon) but I have a hard time deciding
2. Low branches? I've been trying to preserve any branches low on the trunk, but I'm considering more and more just using drop branches from higher up to create an image like this https://hansvanmeerbonsai.files.wordpress.com/2020/06/noelanders-x-2009-012-hans-van-meer..jpg
3. Dealing with the branchless second trunk segment? I can bring down foliage from above to occupy this area, but it still bothers me. Seems like a good grafting opportunity, but I'll most likely be moving in June and I'm worried about any grafts taking if they've been too disrupted. I'm considering bring up one of the thick lower branches to form a new apex as below:
IMG_0414_LI.jpg

Thanks in advance and feel free to tear this tree apart

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I lack experience with these.. so can not offer you any direction.. but I’ll BUMP ya’ back up there..

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1. Choice of front?
This is a very nice front imo
Hinoki.jpg
2. Low branches? I've been trying to preserve any branches low on the trunk, but I'm considering more and more just using drop branches from higher up to create an image like this https://hansvanmeerbonsai.files.wordpress.com/2020/06/noelanders-x-2009-012-hans-van-meer..jpg
My suggestion
Hinoki_vert.jpg

Wire the rest
3. Dealing with the branchless second trunk segment? I can bring down foliage from above to occupy this area, but it still bothers me. Seems like a good grafting opportunity, but I'll most likely be moving in June and I'm worried about any grafts taking if they've been too disrupted. I'm considering bring up one of the thick lower branches to form a new apex as below:
View attachment 349665

Thanks in advance and feel free to tear this tree apart
I wouldnt rely on grafting for a new apex. I know we discussed it elsewhere but I dont remember what was said about how well these respond to grafts.
IMO you have the makeings of a pretty nice tree with the front I suggested and if you can wire the branches.
The problem is how far the foliage is out on the branches. Ive heard mixes opinions on how well these back but. You could try feeding it heavily and see how it goes in the next year or so.
If youre moving, I wouldnt try to do any grafting (if they do in fact respond well to it) until you get to your new place and get all your trees settled there. So not until at least a year after you have moved in so you trees have a chance to acclimate if you are moving fairly far away.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry the pictures you posted are kind of small. I tried to put note on one but it might be too small to read.

Ill try to post it here again to see if it helps
Hinoki.jpg

Hinoki_vert.jpg

*Edit* DIdnt work, the pictures are too small. If you could post a larger version of the picture I used, I would be able to give you my suggestions so that you can actually read them.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The green writing says "Wire more to the side. "

The yellow writing says "Save for now. Maybe cut later"

The red writing says, "Remove"

Just follow corresponding colors' circles. Easy Peazy

faker

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Repotted into a bigger colander to try to increase vigor for the next year or two, but I'll probably eventually layer this low to fix the nebari:

IMG_0476.jpg

Then did a rough pruning/wiring job to get this tree back on track:

IMG_0483.jpgIMG_0484.jpgIMG_0487.jpg

I ended up guy wiring a branch to cross the front and fill the right middle space of the tree which is rather unsightly, but it did put foliage into place to approach graft onto the trunk and create a more natural branch filling that area.

Goals for the tree moving forward:
- keep branches extending to intended silhouette trimmed back to ramify inner foliage while allowing shorter branches to extend
- consider removing heavy branch on the left inside of the curve once small branches extend enough to fill that space
- graft branchless portion of the trunk
- layer to improve nebari

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
How often do you water this lttle guy? You are aware that Hinokis are not too good at back-buddin? You should concentrate in establishing a state of strength for your tree.

faker

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
How often do you water this lttle guy? You are aware that Hinokis are not too good at back-buddin? You should concentrate in establishing a state of strength for your tree.
Usually twice per day in the summer.

I am very sadly aware of that fact- everywhere I am hoping to build ramification from has green foliage at this point.

Agreed on building strength. That was part of why I up-potted to a bigger colander, as it was drying out quickly with how much foliage it had in the smaller pot.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Usually twice per day in the summer.

I am very sadly aware of that fact- everywhere I am hoping to build ramification from has green foliage at this point.

Agreed on building strength. That was part of why I up-potted to a bigger colander, as it was drying out quickly with how much foliage it had in the smaller pot.
The problem with letting a tree go to gain strength is counter intuitive to keeping the growth as close to the trunk as possible. The more you let the branches grow without keeping them in control, the farther away from the main trunk the vegetive growth will progress until the tree has nothing but pom-pom branches, the problem you are having. Unless you can find a way to graft growth where you want it the only alternative is to severely cut back and chop the tree and regrow from the branches as the new trunk.

Top Bottom