HINOKI

MACH5

Masterpiece
Yesterday I had time to fiddle with this 12 year old hinoki grown by Mark Comstock. Nice material with really nice taper. This tree will be available for purchase in about a month or so in case anyone is interested. I may also end up keeping it and perhaps use it as the main tree for a hinoki forest composition.

Before

After

MACH5

Masterpiece
Great work! Have you done anything with those tall thin ones you got from John yet?

Thanks Eric! No not yet. That's a project and half! Probably not until next year or the following. The trees are doing great though! For that one, I am using some of Kimura's elegant and tall forests as inspiration.

Nice work @MACH5
This tree is good enough to keep as a single tree I think. But why did you cut and not jin the old leader?

Paradox

Masterpiece
USDA Zone
7a
Why @MichaelS, so the tree can have a stupid looking straight white point on the top?

I think the apex is fine as it is.

@MACH5, very nice work as usual. Mark has some nice stuff.

just.wing.it

Imperial Masterpiece
USDA Zone
6B
Very nice! here's the adjustments that I would do, my take on it to give it slightly shorter more powerful look. To me at least.Maybe jin the bottom right instead of remove it. Great job by the way View attachment 159688
I agree that that low right side branch could go, but I like the height....it's up in the clouds!

MACH5

Masterpiece
Nice work @MACH5
This tree is good enough to keep as a single tree I think. But why did you cut and not jin the old leader?

Thanks Michael. It was just a matter of preference for this particular tree. Thought about it... decided not to mostly because I see it too often. I think it can work with it as well.

MACH5

Masterpiece
Very nice! here's the adjustments that I would do, my take on it to give it slightly shorter more powerful look. To me at least.Maybe jin the bottom right instead of remove it. Great job by the way View attachment 159688

Thanks Gigs. Yes it can be shortened in the future. For now I left it as a longer and taller design. However, I do want to keep that first branch. I think it adds value and without it the design for me becomes more ordinary. In years to come and depending on how the tree develops it probably can be cut off.

Giga

Masterpiece
USDA Zone
7-8
Thanks Gigs. Yes it can be shortened in the future. For now I left it as a longer and taller design. However, I do want to keep that first branch. I think it adds value and without it the design for me becomes more ordinary. In years to come and depending on how the tree develops it probably can be cut off.
That's true I can see that.