HINOKI

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Is this a ch. obtusa gracilis nana? or the regular non nana?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is this a ch. obtusa gracilis nana? or the regular non nana?

Max I believe this one is not a nana. At 24" tall I think ok as far as scale is concerned. I will need to find out with Mark what cultivar it is.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Max I believe this one is not a nana. At 24" tall I think ok as far as scale is concerned. I will need to find out with Mark what cultivar it is.

so... I haven't been able to find hinoki's here, besides the gracilis nana variety. I might try seeds of these (regular obtusa), but apparently these takes ages to get thick.
Any idea how old that tree is?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
so... I haven't been able to find hinoki's here, besides the gracilis nana variety. I might try seeds of these (regular obtusa), but apparently these takes ages to get thick.
Any idea how old that tree is?

As per Mark Comstock who grew the material, it is 12 years old. Trunk diameter is 1.75" above the flare.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
whoa I'll take it. how much?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Does this tree have to mayor leader chops? And the replaced by a branch or just sacrifice branches?

I am tempted to start one if i manage to find something...

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Does this tree have to mayor leader chops? And the replaced by a branch or just sacrifice branches?

I am tempted to start one if i manage to find something...

One lower chop and one other one higher up from a thicker and unusable branch.

Hinoki are wonderful trees to work with with beautiful, soft and agreeable foliage. Be aware that is VERY easy to knock off smaller branches if you are not careful. I am currently looking for a large one to work with. Tough to find them with a good nebari.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
One lower chop and one other one higher up from a thicker and unusable branch.

Hinoki are wonderful trees to work with with beautiful, soft and agreeable foliage. Be aware that is VERY easy to knock off smaller branches if you are not careful. I am currently looking for a large one to work with. Tough to find them with a good nebari.
A few years back my local bonsai nursery had several large hinoki's at a steal of a price. Regret not buying one of them. My dilemma is not so much of finding one with a good trunk and nebari, but an older tree with tight inner foliage as well. Many trees they carry will have the nebari, thickness, and character but inner growth wasn't preserved as it grew unchecked. Apparently grafting is tough on a hinoki too so I'm a bit hesitant on buying one purely for the trunk and nebari.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
This is my triple trunk hinoki I've worked on for 3 years. There is a bare patch on the back I'll try to approach graft a branch too and will probably do a second wiring this fall.

Hinoki actually do grow fairly fast where I'm at given you protect them from strong summer sun. In 10 years time it will be a nice tree with thicker trunks and more character.

DSC00131.JPG

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You do great work @MACH5 ! I hope someone from here buys that up! I can't shop for trees in the states, but if I could I would be all over Mark Comstock's prebonsai material. He seems to have a true talent developing material.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You do great work @MACH5 ! I hope someone from here buys that up! I can't shop for trees in the states, but if I could I would be all over Mark Comstock's prebonsai material. He seems to have a true talent developing material.

Thanks Wilson. Mark Comstock is becoming one of the best growers in the States and his prices are reasonable I think.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How long would you expect to leave the wire on one of these?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A couple of friends bought these and wired them and lost all interior foliage leaving just footage on the tips of the branches. Is this a normal thing or maybe they wired out of season?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple of friends bought these and wired them and lost all interior foliage leaving just footage on the tips of the branches. Is this a normal thing or maybe they wired out of season?
Were the trees really dense before work was done? Sometimes the tree has already "made the decision" to drop that interior shaded foliage and it can appear like it was triggered by the work that was done. Another possibility is that when the tree was worked, there was suddenly a lot more sun getting into the interior and it burned that previously shaded foliage which caused it to drop.

I've never seen hinoki drop all it's interior foliage just because it was wired.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5 Do you still have this tree?

Oh gosh! I forgot about this tree. It was sold a long time ago. From the beginning I had purchased this tree with the good possibility of selling it after it was styled.

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still, its nice to look back and see this thread! Nice styling of the tree! At least I got to see this today!

Top Bottom