Hirt’s Gardens Unboxing Review!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I recently ran across a random add on Etsy for Hokkaido dwarf Chinese elms. I have always wanted one for its microscopic foliage and it’s a tiny elm, who doesn't like tiny elms? I contacted the shop owner and asked a few questions. He was very friendly and knowledgeable about his stock and got back to me very quickly. That sealed the deal for me, I ordered two. At $9.99 a piece I wasn’t complaining and the shipping was very fair. I ordered them on October 24th. Here it is October 27th and I have little trees in hand. 3 days from Ohio to North Carolina, that’s about as good as it gets!
The packaging was very professional and seeing nursery certifications and inspection certificates on the box is a relief. This is a professional nurseryman.
877D95B7-1118-4DAB-91C0-673BF85A2532.jpeg3B050C7C-60D4-4DDB-89C3-629537455169.jpegF21B57D4-0D7A-4912-8780-7C86F6DAD636.jpeg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The packaging is about as good as you could ask for and the little card with a QR code linking you to all the info you need is a really nice touch and very helpful for people who don’t have a wealth of plant knowledge.99CFCEA6-941E-482F-9C8D-9A70F02F58BC.jpeg01242B72-54C9-4674-8C96-C8A8498AC2A8.jpeg
The trees arrived in perfect condition and are absolutely awesome for little starter trees, they are well branched and the foliage is the smallest I’ve ever seen on an elm!9D0CC027-A2EC-4EC4-A008-47DED46DE4CC.jpegB2E79AD6-922E-49F3-9579-C041C93E0054.jpegADED0B68-D274-41E2-90ED-91D586256FBE.jpeg426A6D7A-6D80-449E-BB19-A64C09AD54D1.jpegD127FDA6-0798-4804-AF34-F1EABEF0A66A.jpeg
All in all I am very happy with these trees. For a random Etsy add I am thoroughly impressed with the quality and service from Hirt’s Gardens and look forward to ordering from them again. I was also sent a thank you message and a 10% off code my next order! Hirt’s Gardens can also be found on amazon and at Hirts.com.

I am no way affiliated with Hirt’s but I do like to support small businesses and small nursery’s.

Last edited:

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice review! They look like good little elms for the price! I had a Hokkaido a couple years ago but it perished, I think I let it get too cold on a spring freeze after it had leafed out. I like the species though. Tiny, microscopic leaves!

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are cool! I was thinking about getting some I saw them also! Though it is Mulberry miniatures that grew it I suppose.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice little trees...FWIW, that microscopic foliage can be a bitch to manage--it can make you want to tear your hair out...don't ask me how I know. 😁
How do they do with the winters in Virginia?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How do they do with the winters in Virginia?
Have to provide decent protection against prolonged temps below 25 F. You can get die back of twigging and trunks. I have a friend who had a very large older specimen hakkaido brought in from the west coast. It gradually died back on its trunk over several years because of a couple of bad winters.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've ordered from Hirt's a couple times and it's been mostly a good experience. You obviously have to keep your expectations about the plants reasonable given the price. They (or one of their growers) usually have at least something interesting.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think mine will probably have to come into the garage on really cold nights or stick them in the grow tent with the tropicals for this winter.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think mine will probably have to come into the garage on really cold nights or stick them in the grow tent with the tropicals for this winter.
I think that would be a Little much for Charlotte. Your zone 7b and 8a probably isn't going to be an issue for them outside under mulch. Looks like average low temp in Jan where you are is 34 F. My Jan. average low is 27.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that would be a Little much for Charlotte. Your zone 7b and 8a probably isn't going to be an issue for them outside under mulch. Looks like average low temp in Jan where you are is 34 F. My Jan. average low is 27.
I agree whole heartedly and envy your weather in Charlotte. It is the teens to below zero that are a concern for me.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I agree whole heartedly and envy your weather in Charlotte. It is the teens to below zero that are a concern for me.
We do get in the teens here occasionally and rarely to the single digits but it seldomly stays in those temperatures for more than a night or so.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am keeping my “sensitive” plants like that in a window well recessed a couple feet below ground level and opens to the garage bays. I can access them by opening the windows to water them, they get light through the window well cover, and should be pretty well protected. I am keeping my Hokkaido and Cork Oak in there instead of in the garage. These look like a good deal so I may be adding a few to the window well!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am keeping my “sensitive” plants like that in a window well recessed a couple feet below ground level and opens to the garage bays. I can access them by opening the windows to water them, they get light through the window well cover, and should be pretty well protected. I am keeping my Hokkaido and Cork Oak in there instead of in the garage. These look like a good deal so I may be adding a few to the window well!
Window wells are an often overlooked asset.

Top Bottom