Hmm, you know these forums are like School ................

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But the very fact that the words cookie cutter are applied to some bonsai means that some people see them that way....all the same.. Why do people go on holiday? They wanna see something different.
All quite normal.
I must be looking at this from a different point of view. I was talking making trees and your talking viewing trees. I think its fair to say that people would like to see, view a variety of trees.

But if one is going to make statements about "making" cookie cutter trees, then show me some world class cookie cutter trees before you embark on something more dramatic, unless you just plain have the talent to make something so dramatic that even talking about cookie cutter is perverse.

I can't speak for you nor Darlene, but after doing bonsai for many years I am light years away from a worldclass cookie cutter tree. I would never, and thats just me, talk about doing something better than I can even do now.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
When people make this statement I have to laugh.

People that make these kinds of statements have no idea what it takes to make a worldclass cookie cutter bonsai.

Kunio Kobayashi makes some damn nice cookie cutter bonsai.
View attachment 95787 View attachment 95788 View attachment 95789 View attachment 95790

Smoke, funny you mentioned Kunio Kobayashi. This video was shocking for me when I saw it. I was positively surprised to be honest.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm, Al,

I have to admire his honesty.

--- I sold out when I was younger [ did he make a bundle ? ] and now that I am older [ richer? ] and wiser [ $$] I am spiritual.---

It is good thing I have admired this man's ability for years, otherwise I would wonder what is wrong with you.

Top quality work, and top quality tree. Decay down here would have prevented that from ever happening.
Good Lessons to learn.
Good Day
Anthony

Nwaite - stay on topic, please.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When people make this statement I have to laugh.

People that make these kinds of statements have no idea what it takes to make a worldclass cookie cutter bonsai.

Kunio Kobayashi makes some damn nice cookie cutter bonsai.
View attachment 95787 View attachment 95788 View attachment 95789 View attachment 95790
Nothing cookie cutter with those trunks...but tell me...have you not see a person's particular style repeated. Once admiring then later...less as impressive because yeah...same old same old. That is what I meant.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I must be looking at this from a different point of view. I was talking making trees and your talking viewing trees. I think its fair to say that people would like to see, view a variety of trees.

But if one is going to make statements about "making" cookie cutter trees, then show me some world class cookie cutter trees before you embark on something more dramatic, unless you just plain have the talent to make something so dramatic that even talking about cookie cutter is perverse.

I can't speak for you nor Darlene, but after doing bonsai for many years I am light years away from a worldclass cookie cutter tree. I would never, and thats just me, talk about doing something better than I can even do now.

I'm sorry...I wasn't even thinking world class.. I'm talking same old same old with crap materials. Using the same general concept for each styling...thinking what could be in my backyard. My level tree...not world class. Those trunks are to impressive and each tell a story so not the same. Not even comparable to the trees I'm thinking of in my minds eye. ;) Guess I should have been more clearer...if the trunk is just twistedon't about...in some fancy S with intention and purpose put into it...with a canopy.

Last edited:

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All trees started out as a thin little whip. .. just like the ones in your backyard. .

@Anthony sorry...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing cookie cutter with those trunks...but tell me...have you not see a person's particular style repeated. Once admiring then later...less as impressive because yeah...same old same old. That is what I meant.
Of course I have. Green helmets on a trunk. I get that. I look at it from a different perspective. I am a technical kind of guy. I am left brain driven rather than right brain. When I go to a show, I am more interested on getting on my hands and knees and discovering how something is done, rather than backing up ten feet and deciding if this tree is more dynamic than the one next to it. There are times at an exhibit that I have wanted to move the tree from the stand so I could pick up the stand to admire it from different perspectives. So my point of view is taking in the technical skill needed to get any tree to a worldclass statice. those that say they do not wish that have internally settled for less than that.

Just my take, nothing personal.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After "meditating" on this post for half of my work day I had an epiphany to althea "art" of bonsai. .. or art in general. . Thanks guys!

Do to being a little drunk I won't try to right it all down ... maby tomorrow.

But really thank you all.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After "meditating" on this post for half of my work day I had an epiphany to althea "art" of bonsai. .. or art in general. . Thanks guys!

Do to being a little drunk I won't try to right it all down ... maby tomorrow.

But really thank you all.

Bro....you even spelled epiphany right....
Maybe a little drunk is good!

What's up with those Fici!?
I am sad!

Sorce

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
> these forums are like school

Ahhh, but that's why I went to school and got a BFA :)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
> these forums are like school

Ahhh, but that's why I went to school and got a BFA :)
I used to race around on one of those motorcycles when I was in high school.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Bro....you even spelled epiphany right....
Maybe a little drunk is good!

What's up with those Fici!?
I am sad!

Sorce

Yeah, but he choked on "write/right" and "maybe", maybe he should have been a little drunker, lol.

John

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
OK, I wasn't making fun of him, I misspell words too. I found sorce's post amusing in that epiphany was spelled right and the easy words were wrong, that's all.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha ha, like I said - school.
Information finished - lots of gum bumping.
Nwaite, no sweat, alls cool.
No need to read here anymore.
Bye Bye.
Antonio

Top Bottom