Hmmm? Any thoughts?

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
I have this crate Myrtle That I potted up earlier this spring that was a bonus in one of my azalea pots from a nursery .
They leafs seem to be turning yellow-ish .
I don't water too much ,
It's getting enough water .
It's getting enough sun .
I used Ozma coat earlier this spring to fertilize .
Here are before and after pictures ,,,
IMG_1616.JPGIMG_2065.JPG

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Maybe the soil? On the left half of the pot the soil looks different than the right.... what type of mix is it in?

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
Organic pine bark mix ,
Turfus,
Crushed granite .
I've stopped using the crushed granite in all my other mixes
Now I'm just using Pinebark mix and turfus

Pachycaul

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Yes ,,,
Ozma coat
Time released

Bonsailane- some people I respect eschew Osmocote or any other time release fertilizers as being too unpredictable. The assumption being that the release of nutrients is gradual and steady whereas the reality is more likely tied to variables such as light levels, moisture levels, and water and soil ph. This can lead to either starvation or dumping as the capsules degrade to the point of content release. Many broadleaf decids react to over/under environmental conditions by leaf discoloration temporarily, and settle down once equilibrium has been reestablished (chlorotic bougainvillea leaves from overwatering comes to mind) If your crepe/crape myrtle starts dropping leaves or crisping/browning at the edges then may be a time to worry.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm not very experienced with this species but my guess is the sun is too much for it. It is still recovering if it went straight to a confined bonsai pot from sharing a pot with another plant. It's showing some purplish hue in the foliage which says it's trying to protect itself from too much light.

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
Bonsailane- some people I respect eschew Osmocote or any other time release fertilizers as being too unpredictable. The assumption being that the release of nutrients is gradual and steady whereas the reality is more likely tied to variables such as light levels, moisture levels, and water and soil ph. This can lead to either starvation or dumping as the capsules degrade to the point of content release. Many broadleaf decids react to over/under environmental conditions by leaf discoloration temporarily, and settle down once equilibrium has been reestablished (chlorotic bougainvillea leaves from overwatering comes to mind) If your crepe/crape myrtle starts dropping leaves or crisping/browning at the edges then may be a time to worry.
Very respectable reply ,, thanks

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Could be iron deficient, add a little Epsom salt to your water...
It's worked for my azaleas in the past.

How does epsom salt make iron more available to the plant? Surely epsom salt contains no iron. I've just never heard of this before!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How does epsom salt make iron more available to the plant? Surely epsom salt contains no iron. I've just never heard of this before!
I'm not sure they're directly related.
I've read into it before, buy I don't remember the details...
And I may be thinking magnesium, not iron....my bad...
Still, it doesn't hurt.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would suggest it's generally starving.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If your water is hard and alkaline, it may be having trouble absorbing iron. Using water with a lower ph may help.

Top Bottom