HOA Ban Invasive Plant

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Luckily, out HOA is pretty good. I tried to avoid one, but because we were on a time crunch, we had to do it. Lucky because the housing market went nuts 2 mos later summer 2020

Ours just maintains a collection pond and some common areas. As long as you keep a nice place, no one cares what anyone does. Some people have xeriscape, others have lawns. Honestly, everyone takes pretty good care of their stuff anyway. Hell, I have 10 Christmas inflatables in my front yard and my neighbors love it!

My aunt-in-law’s HOA says you can’t SEE a parked RV. So you have to have an RV garage attached to have it 100% not visible from the street. You can’t have it in a side yard behind a fence covered. Yah, that’s wacky

I have heard the horror stories of being fined for out of spec grass or a fence being stained a shade darker than allowed. I feel sorry for those people

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
In my current neighborhood (where we are renting while we build a new house) I built two short "wing" fences to either side of the back of the house that were 8' long and were just for privacy and as a windblock. They were far from any property border. The HOA complained to my landlord, and I had to remove them.

Next, I left two garbage cans on my driveway up by my garage door. The HOA complained to my landlord. I opened the garage door and pulled them inside.

After this insanity, I asked my landlord for a copy of the HOA CR&R's. The document was 75 pages long. I've lived for the last 24 years in Southern California in a very nice HOA and have never seen anything like it. You can get in trouble if you plant a rose bush in your front yard. You can even get in trouble if you install "invisible" things like an invisible dog fence or in-ground sprinklers. I can understand things like fencing that runs along a property line needing to be approved, or no overnight parking on streets, but this document was insane. Good thing we will only be here another six months. The landlord was very apologetic because we are great tenants. This is NOT a particularly expensive neighborhood, either. Mostly starter homes.
Glad I live in a tiny little village. Not many rules here, it's like the wild, wild west :p I think if you let your yard get overgrown and someone complains, they tell you to mow your lawn.

Top Bottom