Hobbyist bonsai artists

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey folks, I am sitting having a coffee, and read this article by Colin Lewis. I am sure many have already read this article, or ones of similar nature. It got me thinking how great it is to have a community like the one here on this site. I remember reading various threads debating the art of bonsai, or the "rules", but what I enjoyed in this article was his reference to Hobbyists being able to share their passion for long term projects. I am very grateful to the many people on here who share amazing in depth explanations of their processes to achieve beautiful trees. I can say that for me to have a resource such as this site, with so many creative people exchanging ideas, and technique, has been a blessing. I try to share my love of trees, and nature in general, with everyone I can, and bonsai can be a great vehicle to help people see the beauty in nature that is so often missed in modern life. So I hope anyone who reads this enjoys the article, and I thank you all for sharing your passion of trees, and nature! http://www.colinlewisbonsai.com/Reading/toomuchbonsai.html

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A very insightful statement by Mr. Lewis and so very true.

"It is not the bonsai master, not the itinerant bonsai journeyman, and certainly not the commercial market traders, but the committed, motivated and talented enthusiasts who hold the future evolution of bonsai art in their hands. It is they who are free to experiment, create, push the boundaries, be adventurous. They have no reputation to build, no ego to boost, no big investment to lose apart from time. It is they, and only they, who can preserve the variety of style and species, adding more as time goes by. It is they who are most likely to practice bonsai as an expressive art, forever pushing the boundaries, rather than as an investment or a performance. All they need to do is believe in their own dreams, set their sights on the highest goal and, take the longest path to reach it."

As a side note, I have always abhorred using the word "hobby" to describe what we do here. I truly believe that if we think we're practicing a hobby, we'll get just that in return. If we believe we are making art, we'll get something greater out of it regardless of your experience level or degree of time investment.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have always abhorred using the word "hobby" to describe what we do here. I truly believe that if we think we're practicing a hobby, we'll get just that in return
I agree with this and it always makes me cringe when people talk about my "little tree hobby". The word hobby just seems like it diminishes it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very Exciting!

He is right, and you furthered it.

We are the ones that are making the "trees of tomorrow".

From Wireme's "wild,natural" to Adair's "highly traditional", we have everything in between.

A melting pot, rather, soil bin, of ideas to gather tidbits, and incorporate into personal artistry to obtain what will define "world class".

The best thing, all of our definitions of "world class" will be different, which will make for very exciting trees. Endless possibilities.

Of our community, I don't go a month without thinking of what the world would be like if it operated as this site does.

In continuing the excellent things from Colin Lewis...
A couple of videos I love.

Thanks to Everyone for Everything!

Sorce

P.S. Don't go a month without thinking "we do pretty" either!

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Ironically, Colin is one of the few in America that has a colloquial voice, an organic style and a heart too open to become clogged with the cultural residue of this confounding art.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Poured a cup and read the article...thanks for sharing. I was in my school courtyard yesterday. We have 7 Chinese elms..20-40 feet tall that have lost their leaves for the winter. I was looking at the ramifications on them and started to apply "bonsai rules" to what I saw...trees in nature do not follow the rules...maybe Mr. Naka is correct...I should be making my bonsai look like trees...instead of the other way around.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good words from all of you! I do agree 100% with you @MACH5 I feel what we venture to achieve with our trees is a beautiful art form. I truly believe that bonsai is an amazing means to reconnect people to actually paying attention to what surrounds them. Much like the quiet contemplation/meditation one can enjoy when working on trees, slowing down life to a natural speed.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Although Colin’s statement may appear dismissive to some degree towards masters/professionals in general, I also feel compelled to say that thankfully, some of them are in fact still willing to take those creative risks regardless, and acknowledge their daily efforts in educating us.

At the 2014 US National, Owen Reich, despite his now established reputation as a highly skilled professional, he made a bold move by exhibiting a Japanese maple sapling amidst trees of great age and impressive presence. Of course it was his careful and beautifully composed display that made it so appealing and unique. And who can forget the maple actually growing from the bottom of its container that Bill Valavanis originally conceived? Others come to mind.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
may appear dismissive to some degree towards masters/professionals in general.

Thank goodness YOU said this, because I wanted to say something along the same lines, but didn't, because I don't carry much weight and would get shredded....carry on....;)

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A very insightful statement by Mr. Lewis and so very true.

"It is not the bonsai master, not the itinerant bonsai journeyman, and certainly not the commercial market traders, but the committed, motivated and talented enthusiasts who hold the future evolution of bonsai art in their hands. It is they who are free to experiment, create, push the boundaries, be adventurous. They have no reputation to build, no ego to boost, no big investment to lose apart from time. It is they, and only they, who can preserve the variety of style and species, adding more as time goes by. It is they who are most likely to practice bonsai as an expressive art, forever pushing the boundaries, rather than as an investment or a performance. All they need to do is believe in their own dreams, set their sights on the highest goal and, take the longest path to reach it."

As a side note, I have always abhorred using the word "hobby" to describe what we do here. I truly believe that if we think we're practicing a hobby, we'll get just that in return. If we believe we are making art, we'll get something greater out of it regardless of your experience level or degree of time investment.

I dunno, most of the reasons listed as a hindrance can also be used as motivation by masters and professionals. Somebody trying to build a reputation and boost their recognition may chose to push the boundaries and work outside the norm, treat it as a performance in an effort to be noticed etc... And the difference in available resources, quality of material, skill set.,anyways I would expect innovation and advancement from both quarters. I'd say standards of judging competitions might be the strongest force of stagnation or homogenization in the art. Whether or not that's actually a real issue that needs to be overcome I have no comment myself.
I do enjoy seeing Colin's viewpoints on all things bonsai though, it was one of his books that first inspired me to try.

They have no reputation to build, no ego to boost,

forever pushing the boundaries, rather than as an investment or a performance.

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank goodness YOU said this, because I wanted to say something along the same lines, but didn't, because I don't carry much weight and would get shredded....carry on....;)

Hmmm, believe what you want to believe Lance but I beg to differ.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I in know way share a thought that professional bonsai artists lack creativity, or are incapable of designing trees outside of traditional norms. I am sure Colin has respect for his peers, and their capabilities. I was more interested with praising those of us who aren't making a living off of this, but pursue to learn and perfect our trees out of a passion we all share. I am amazed at all the members here who are creating all these beautiful trees, and also benefiting from our exchanges between experienced artists and newcomers. I for one love traditional trees, and appreciate immensely the skill that goes into designing them. At the same time I find all the unorthodox designs that people are creating to be so beautiful.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have always abhorred using the word "hobby" to describe what we do here.
The purpose of business is to make a profit - everything else is a hobby.
A business makes a profit by solving someone else's 'problem'.

I have no expectation of ever making a profit as a bonsai artist - just hoping to merit the 'artist' tag someday.

... just sharing - not trying to solve anyone else's problem :)

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I in know way share a thought that professional bonsai artists lack creativity, or are incapable of designing trees outside of traditional norms. I am sure Colin has respect for his peers, and their capabilities. I was more interested with praising those of us who aren't making a living off of this, but pursue to learn and perfect our trees out of a passion we all share. I am amazed at all the members here who are creating all these beautiful trees, and also benefiting from our exchanges between experienced artists and newcomers. I for one love traditional trees, and appreciate immensely the skill that goes into designing them. At the same time I find all the unorthodox designs that people are creating to be so beautiful.

I understand and agree!

It's nice to see a vote of confidence towards the backyarders from someone of Colin's caliber too.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The purpose of business is to make a profit - everything else is a hobby.
A business makes a profit by solving someone else's 'problem'.

I have no expectation of ever making a profit as a bonsai artist - just hoping to merit the 'artist' tag someday.

... just sharing - not trying to solve anyone else's problem :)

Oso, this is a matter of semantics. I am referring more to a mindset or attitude.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oso, this is a matter of semantics. I am referring more to a mindset or attitude.
I meant nothing personal toward you by what I had to say other than a hat tip that your words inspired me to coment (share my opinion). You do inspire me from time to time. This was just one such occasion.

'Hobby' isn't necessarily a bad word for me.

One's hobby is just about the only thing in life done purely for the joy and pleasure. Sometimes work provides that joy, but it isn't assured. Never mind, I really don't want to wax philosophical right now. [sigh of relief from the crowd]

Top Bottom