Hokkaido Elm

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tom,

Yes, I have considered that option for a number of years. At this point in time, the primary function of the branch is to thicken up the lower part of the trunk. Once the desired trunk diameter has been attained, I will need to make a decision on the fate of this branch. A lot will depend on how the rest of the tree develops and my ability to minimize the die back.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Brett,

Thanks for posting the links.

I have visited Brent's site many times and found it to be a valuable source of information.

It's funny that you should mention Mr. Valavanis. I have always admired the particular Seiju pictured in the AoB article. My original Seiju (which I still have) was purchased from him as a rooted cutting back in 1994. The remainder of my Seiju's were grown from cuttings from this original tree.

I know that Bill visits this site and it would be great to get some feedback from him on this problem.

Regards,
Paul

Hisaoka

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen literature that they like full sun, but my Hokkaido Elms seem to like half sun. I have mine in diotomacious earth granular, fast draining inorganic soil. I re-potted them in June and one in July, and they both have new roots and new growth. There is no die-back yet, But I only got them in June. I also took cuttings and rooted a bunch. Here's a link below to my elms gallery :)

Hokkaido Elms

good_ol_jr77

Sapling
Reaction score
William N. Valavanis has a few good ones going maybe he would be good to get some info off.
http://www.artofbonsai.org/galleries/valavanis.php[/QUOTE]

Ironic, that beautiful Seiju that Bill had died a few years after that shot was taken when he took off the lower two branches and it never recovered from the trauma.

bretts

Shohin
Reaction score
Thought some might be interested to see this seiju elm from Australia. Not mine but an artist that goes by the name Grim Elder. About 10 years in training from field grown stock.
I’ll try to update with how mine are going. Still going ok but nothing as good as this.

Attachments

• E50CDD71-BEAB-4479-BEEC-A50191E6ABB0.jpeg
    E50CDD71-BEAB-4479-BEEC-A50191E6ABB0.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 79

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Just acquired a small one and would love to get more info on this variety

Top Bottom