Hokkaido elms on Etsy

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow I didn't know about these, wonder if I am in zone for a dwarf, lacebark sure like it here. Very cool Mateo, thanks.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Wulfskaar I did a full unboxing review and I am very happy with these little ones.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I picked up a couple as well. I read they are hearty to zone 5.

boonefrog

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just bought 3 of each Hokkaido and Seiju from Hirts on Etsy and they arrived today (a day earlier than estimated). Packed well and good condition.

Attachments

• IMG_7674.JPG
    IMG_7674.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7675.JPG
    IMG_7675.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 50

Bailey

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just bought 3 of each Hokkaido and Seiju from Hirts on Etsy and they arrived today (a day earlier than estimated). Packed well and good condition.
I like Hirts quite a bit. They have been good to me on any issue I have if reported right away. I think I just got my sieju's from them about the same time you got yours. Do not let them dry out and they do not like cold

Bailey

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone

boonefrog

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like Hirts quite a bit. They have been good to me on any issue I have if reported right away. I think I just got my sieju's from them about the same time you got yours. Do not let them dry out and they do not like cold
All my Hokkaido's died over winter (zone 7b) in raised/mulched beds. Seiju survived.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
All 3 of the sejus I bought died over the winter. I had them in a window well along with another seju I got from bonsaify which survived so it wasn’t care or conditions. I think these were just not well rooted cuttings they shipped out too early when we all placed a bunch of orders at the same time.

Bailey

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All 3 of the sejus I bought died over the winter. I had them in a window well along with another seju I got from bonsaify which survived so it wasn’t care or conditions. I think these were just not well rooted cuttings they shipped out too early when we all placed a bunch of orders at the same time.
I have noticed my cuttings that I get from them are also not root bound, I am trying to take extra care of the ones I have but I don't think mine can take the cold here and need a lot of light.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have noticed my cuttings that I get from them are also not root bound, I am trying to take extra care of the ones I have but I don't think mine can take the cold here and need a lot of light.
The ones I got last year made it through the winter just fine here in 7a/8b. I treat them like any other tree. I just sit them on the ground with the rest of my trees. One is even in a tiny tea cup size pot.

Bailey

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The ones I got last year made it through the winter just fine here in 7a/8b. I treat them like any other tree. I just sit them on the ground with the rest of my trees. One is even in a tiny tea cup size pot.
Unfortunately I am zone 5 and it is much to cold for them here. I'm glad yours are doing well, I will have to find a way to safely trigger dormancy for mine next year

Bailey

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hokkaido is hardy to zone 4. It should be hardy in your area with winter protection like a shed or unheated garage.
So I have a 4 season porch that I don't heat, it's a bit drafty anyway. But neither seiju nor Hokkaido have survived it and I have tried for 2 winters now. I'll have to get creative next winter. There is too much new growth on my trees to risk it this year

Top Bottom