Hole in side of pot?

wharf_rat78

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I got this pot yesterday from my dad who got it from amongst some things left when someone passed on.

While I’d love to know anything about the pot (the stamps are not terribly legible and I know nothing about pots), I’m particularly interested in why there’d be a small hole in the side! I don’t guess this was made for bonsai but I think it looks pretty cool so I’ll probably use it.

Why would the pot have a hole punched in the side?

Attachments

• IMG_5383.jpeg
    IMG_5383.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5391.jpeg
    IMG_5391.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5389.jpeg
    IMG_5389.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 100

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It can be used for tie down wires, to either wire the tree into the pot or to wire the pot to a bench, or both.

wharf_rat78

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It can be used for tie down wires, to either wire the tree into the pot or to wire the pot to a bench, or both.
Yeah. Seems odd that there would only be one hole if it was to wire to a bench - and if wiring a tree into the pot why in the world would you want that wire showing on the outside near the rim? Seems strange!

wharf_rat78

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Why? It certainly looks like a bonsai pot, and it has Asian-looking chops. I would definitely guess it was made for bonsai. It just seems to be lacking feet.
Yeah, after I posted that I thought “why not” too :)

wharf_rat78

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The hole was made by the maker prior to firing.
Yep - if it was just drilled after the fact I wouldn’t wonder why, but to intentionally have made it with just that one random hole up near the rim did make me wonder.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yep - if it was just drilled after the fact I wouldn’t wonder why, but to intentionally have made it with just that one random hole up near the rim did make me wonder.

I guess it could have been made with a specific tree in mind—a tree that needed exactly one wire tie down.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My first thought was maybe a hanging planter, but certainly not with only ONE hole.
🤔
Perhaps specifically designed by request, maybe for a certain type of tree or care regimen? Like to allow a small amount of top drainage for a particular species?
Maybe it was the START of something like a hanging pot, but then the potter change their mind. Forgot to patch the hole.
My only other thought is it might be more for it's construction or firing. Something to allow even heating during firing while that edge is up near the wall of the kiln, or similar notion.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m picturing a slanted tree leaning precariously in the opposite direction, with a guy wire for extra support right after repotting.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I haven’t seen this done before. So I can’t speak for certain. I tend to think due to the way it’s made. The hole was intended to be used for its production. The hole is very small. And if the potter intended to make a pot to tie down they’d be at the base. It could of been a commissioned pot and the client wanted a hole there for a reason.

The hole is very crude though. Looks like it was punched with a potters needle and the potter didn’t even clean it up and make it nice. Which leads me to believe it isn’t meant to functional for anything other then production (you can see everything else such as the drainage hole is clean). They can do something like this to make dipping in a glaze easier so you don’t have to get your hands messy. It could be protocol for all their pots whether or not they end up glazed or not.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I haven’t seen this done before. So I can’t speak for certain. I tend to think due to the way it’s made. The hole was intended to be used for its production. The hole is very small. And if the potter intended to make a pot to tie down they’d be at the base. It could of been a commissioned pot and the client wanted a hole there for a reason.

The hole is very crude though. Looks like it was punched with a potters needle and the potter didn’t even clean it up and make it nice. Which leads me to believe it isn’t meant to functional for anything other then production (you can see everything else such as the drainage hole is clean). They can do something like this to make dipping in a glaze easier so you don’t have to get your hands messy. It could be protocol for all their pots whether or not they end up glazed or not.
Something along those lines was what I was thinking. Though if it was protocol/standard practice with all their pots I imagine it would be cleaned up.
I'm under the impression it was done last second, which means it has something to do with the firing process.
I know nothing about pottery, though, so there may be a better theory.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Something along those lines was what I was thinking. Though if it was protocol/standard practice with all their pots I imagine it would be cleaned up.
I'm under the impression it was done last second, which means it has something to do with the firing process.
I know nothing about pottery, though, so there may be a better theory.
I think if anyone commenting here would know it’d be @NaoTK. And he just said it’s a speed hole so we may never know lol!

One thing is for certain it was made with speed.

wharf_rat78

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think if anyone commenting here would know it’d be @NaoTK. And he just said it’s a speed hole so we may never know lol!

One thing is for certain it was made with speed.
My dumb ass went to Google and typed “pottery speed hole” just to make sure.

Top Bottom