Hollow Creek Bonsai

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this dealer ? I'm particularly interested in their maples.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Dwight.

Yes, I have ordered several very large tools from them and found it to be a good experience. They offer good tools at a good price and shipped very fast. I will be a return customer in the future. I don't know about the trees though..... looks to me to be on the very expensive side for what ya get.

Give them a try, I had good luck with them.

Jason

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Jason , My thought exactly on the price of trees. Think I'd be better off going to you or Brent for that kinda money.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
hey there!
wow - I remember that website - I visited a while ago and thought their prices were outrageous for the most part.

give oregonbonsai a try they seem to have quite a few maples on their website.

Also give weetree farm a try at www.weetree.com, and look at their bare root material, especially the monster japanese maple section - I'm a local so it's fairly inexpensive if you can pick them up. Shipping might be a problem. The only thing is that they stopped selling these for the rest of the year.

hope that helps.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this dealer ? I'm particularly interested in their maples.

As I stated in another thread I purchased supplies from them years ago and all went well. I contacted them in the early spring of this year via email about a particular tree. I wanted more photos from different sides and of a higher quality then what they have on their web site. I never heard back from them. The email could have wound up caught as spam or perhaps they ignored it or simply forgot about it. I simply moved on.

If I were to deal with them in the future I would insist on more photos of a higher quality before contemplating a purchase. That should be the norm when buying over the net, unless you implicitly trust the seller.

Incidentally they have a new person helping around the nursery, Patrick J. deSilva. Seems to know his stuff, he has a web site that has some nice photos of some of his stuff here. I think he is doing workshops and demos and working on stock to sell. May be a great move for them.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
he has a web site that has some nice photos of some of his stuff

Looked at the web site for Patrick, interesting. He definitely has the credentials. The black pine graft was nice. What was up with the Juniper? With all due respect, I'm not sure that should have been the choice for the feature picture.

Edit: Sorry, that might of been construed as a thread jack, my apologize. I known Colin Lewis bought some junipers from them and was quite pleased. David Prescott did a styling of one of Hollow Creeks Junipers at the 2005 or 06 Mid-Atlantic Convention.

Attachments

• jsw_p4160050.jpg
    jsw_p4160050.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 178
  • jsw_p4160066.jpg
    jsw_p4160066.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 180
  • jsw_dave2.jpg
    jsw_dave2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

jimj.

Sapling
Reaction score
Hollow Creek

I am a very satisfied customer with this company. I recently purchased a pot and when I got it the pot was broken. I called Hollow Creek and told them about it and they promptly sent a refund check and I got another pot in good condition. I have bought different things from them before and will again.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Are you guys talking about the juniper in Tachigi's post a few above this one??????

That is a killer juniper and they did a killer job! You guys are a tough crowd to please, haha

Jason

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
That was a year ago Jason , I can see the your point now. I still don't like " busy " trees. I have trouble actually LOOKING at them. Maybe it's my dyslexia. Some of Kimuras stuff drives me nuts also. Probably why I like Cal junies so much.

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great Speedy Service

I have ordered all kinds of things from Fred at Hollow Creek Bonsai & everything has always arrived fast & intact. A+ in my book. I will order many more things from him in the future.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I use their shohin soil mix, no problems.

keep it green,
Harry

BKulpa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Photos from Hollow creek

I've attached some of the hundreds of photos taken by my daughter at Hollow Creek Bonsai.
I've always found Fred and his wife most helpful.

I make it a day trip to their nursery, so I can't comment on the shipping prices.

Fred has helped me care for sick plants, and given his best advice on all my questions.

I've bought multiple trees and his double screen soil mix (which was mentioned in Craig Cousins book "Bonsai School") with good sucess.

Attachments

• cropped V.JPG
    cropped V.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5024.JPG
    IMG_5024.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 78
  • table Bonsai.JPG
    table Bonsai.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 77
  • tall curved.JPG
    tall curved.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Close up on table.JPG
    Close up on table.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 82

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I've never done business with Hollow Creek, but most of what I've heard about them has been positive.

The negative that I've heard/read has to do with keeping their on-line pics up-to-date, and being willing to provide up-to-the-day pics, from multiple angles, of a specific tree when asked. This isn't the only forum on which I've read of that sort of problem with Hollow Creek.

That, and their prices are a bit rich for my blood.

Otherwise, as I said, all I've heard/read about them has been good.

Wm Tom Davis

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Every purchase I've made with them has been a very good one. They ship ASAP, and everything I've ordered has arrived in great shape. I'm a very happy customer of theirs, Thanks Fred.
(and no, I wasn't paid to say this. Everything I've ordered I'm very happy with.)

Top Bottom