Holly Tone fert for acid loving plants

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Whats the verdict on this stuff? Been noticing it at the Depot and Lowes, and its cheaper than Osmocote.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Holly Tone is a good organic fertilizer, but as with all fertilizer, how "good" it is depends on what you want it to do and how you want to use them. You won't get sky-rocketting growth needed for plants in development with this product. Used in tea bags or mixed into cakes, this will make a good feed for plants in the refinement stage. But you probably don't want to put this directly into the pot, like Osmocote.

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
None of my trees are really in the refinement stage, so I'll be sticking to the osmocote. Thanks guys.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
But you probably don't want to put this directly into the pot, like Osmocote.

I bought a bag and planned on using it on my yaupon holly bushes. Any reason why I shouldn't put them directly on the pot? Mine are on development and in bigger containers and I also fertilize w/ diluted water soluble Miracle Grow.

Thanks!

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Used it last year once on all my azaleas, they seemed to like it. All have tons of blooms primed to open when the times here.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I use it on all my trees...including those being grown out. FWIW, I also use miracle gro and fish emulsion weekly on all my trees. Trees that need less growth will get diluted amounts of the liquid ferts...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I bought a bag and planned on using it on my yaupon holly bushes. Any reason why I shouldn't put them directly on the pot? Mine are on development and in bigger containers and I also fertilize w/ diluted water soluble Miracle Grow.

Thanks!

It will clog up the top of your soil media and impede water from passing into the root mass from the surface. I don't bother with cakes, either, because of this.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've never used the stuff but if I remember correctly this has an atrocious smell, right?

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It will clog up the top of your soil media and impede water from passing into the root mass from the surface. I don't bother with cakes, either, because of this.
I put fertilizers like this in empty tea bags. That lets the good stuff flow thru to the plant and keeps the clogging matter in the tea bag.

Top Bottom