Holy Thursday Bonsai Display

Reaction score
USDA Zone
There were rules....seating had to be set, the tabernacle of course was centered, but I had a little leway and managed to keep all the many houseplants out of the area.

This was the first exposure to bonsai many of the people coming to pray had and I answered quite a few questions this evening when I was picking up my belongings, even got a couple interested in joining our study group.

On my way out they made me promise to do it again next year. (Good thing they don't know good bonsai from bad )

Will

Attachments

• holy_thursday_040909_003_400.jpg
    holy_thursday_040909_003_400.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 122
  • holy_thursday_040909_004_400.jpg
    holy_thursday_040909_004_400.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 114
  • holy_thursday_040909_012_400.jpg
    holy_thursday_040909_012_400.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 85
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one was brought because of Irene, thanks.

Yes, I know, it needs detail wiring, I decided to take it without wire.

Attachments

• scots_pine_literati_040909_004_400.jpg
    scots_pine_literati_040909_004_400.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 85

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Your welcome Will...
Looks good...
Did ya explain Literati?
Irene

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Very peaceful... you know it is funny - I think this is the only time I have seen bonsai displayed indoors when it has not been (1) an exhibition or (2) in a formal tokonoma. And no - ficus sitting on your windowsill in the winter don't count :)

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Very peaceful... you know it is funny - I think this is the only time I have seen bonsai displayed indoors when it has not been (1) an exhibition or (2) in a formal tokonoma. And no - ficus sitting on your windowsill in the winter don't count :)
I do on occasion...Just to please me....
Irene

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good for you Will, and they won't notice at least for a few years, by then you can have them in a workshop preping the display.

BNut, I will bring a tree or two into work from time to time, just to get the interest, or maybe showing off a bit, our club has a few that do this as well, DougDT showed an apple that he had brought in to work to display in honor of our Veterans, just don't have time to look for the link, maybe later.

It's good for Bonsai in general, but it furthers the individuals journey into bonsai as well , especially if you are trying to put you best effort out on display.

Thanks for the look Will.

Reaction score
USDA Zone

It was interesting, they allowed me to use any thing I wished as far as their pedestals and candles go, but I had to have the Tabernacle in the center, I had to have candles, and the seating had to have a center aisle and be facing the Tabernacle. A formal display was out obviously so I settled on five bonsai and tried to represent different styles with two informal uprights, a literati, a full cascade, and a windswept. After some thought, I just settled on centering the stands around the Tabernacle with one informal upright to the side.

It is not the optimal time for showing bonsai here in Michigan, the tropicals having spent the winter inside and still are inside due to heavy frosts still happening every night and the pines and deciduous trees just beginning to come out of dormancy. Larches are just starting to show green here.

There was much discussion on the bonsai before and after prayers and surprisingly a windswept that needs some detail work seemed to be the overall favorite. About 150 people came in and out last night, many staying for an hour or more in silent prayer.

By the way, all the bonsai I took there were Shohin.

In the end, it was fun.

Will

Attachments

• juniper_windswept_040909_005_400.jpg
    juniper_windswept_040909_005_400.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 35
  • juniper_windswept_040909_008_400.jpg
    juniper_windswept_040909_008_400.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 132

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Good for you Will, on many levels, good for you.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Vance.

You may reconize this one, still a ways to go, but with all the buds, I imagine this shohin will change quite a bit this year.

Will

Attachments

• shohin_mugo_040909_003_400.jpg
    shohin_mugo_040909_003_400.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 29
  • shohin_mugo_040909_012_400.jpg
    shohin_mugo_040909_012_400.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 29

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Vance.

You may reconize this one, still a ways to go, but with all the buds, I imagine this shohin will change quite a bit this year.

Will

I really like this little Mugo. It kind of reminds me of a fledgling Eagle starting to molt into adult foliage. Kind of scruffy around the edges but on the verge of looking like one day soon it will be able to swoop down and pluck a salmon from the sea. I know where this tree is going because I have seen it and held it in my hands.

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your priest must be pretty cool Will, and your set up looked nice.

My wife and I just came back from helping with the decoration of our church and I was laughing to myself. Our priest is VERY traditional and I was sooo tempted to ask if I could put some of my sticks up on the altar, mixed in with the flowers, but I resisted.

And here is where the Bonsai sickness kicked in. Out of the various types of flowers used in the decorations, there were about 20 one gallon Azalea's in bloom. Guess who picked up all twenty and checked the trunks and roots for potential???.....I did tell him that when it's time to clear the altar, some of those Azalea were going to disappear...........

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, Father Jim is cool in many ways, he is one of two Capuchin monks that is in the parish. He thought the whole minimalism idea behind bonsai well with the idea of Holy Thursday and certainly with his beliefs, I think he will be doing bonsai soon. However, we don't have flowers in this church before Easter, not allowed. I bet the azaleas were sweet though!

Will

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will,

This is a cool idea. I'm glad it went over well for you and your church.

Ryan

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks.

It did go over well as we have 15 people signed up for the intro to bonsai class for the women's club. Not too shabby so far. Now for the Men's club ;)

Will

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice job Will. It looks nice. And 15 women introduced to bonsai is always a good thing.

Daysleeper

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice trees and display. But there is something unsettling about seein such peacful and majestic trees in such a savage and exploitive place.

Top Bottom