Home Depot Crape Myrtle

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't believe I found this at HD, but there it was - just waiting for me to take it home.

Just wanted to create a thread that I can update over time. Plan is to cut back the top this spring and bare root it - see what's under there and get into some better soil. Lot's of nice lower branches, but I'll have to cut back the thicker straight sections and regrow them to get better taper and movement.

I'll update as I go along.
CrapeMyrtle01.jpg
CrapeMyrtle02.jpg
CrapeMyrtle03.jpg

Maybe something like this one day...
CMplan.jpg

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Pretty nice for a big box tree. Those things grow like weeds. I would suggest removing even more of those smaller branches. Watch out for pests mine tend to get aphids.

Have fun!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That's a decent find presenting to you a lot of choices!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice! what's it called?

I'm new to CM as bonsai, been hacking at them in my landscape for years though, love how vigorous they are.
Oh I was asking you if you know what yours is called...:D
Mine is called "Purple Cow".
Purple flowers.
Edit: and mine is a semi dwarf.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@just.wing.it
I just read through your other post, looks like it didn't skip a beat with the work you did.

So, you basically chopped it down, and bare rooted it within the same spring season. And if I'm counting right, you got 3 flushes of growth over the summer after each time you pruned?

This is basically the same game plan I'm going to be doing this year. I'd also like to nail it to a board, but I see how that could be an issue the first time around.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@just.wing.it
I just read through your other post, looks like it didn't skip a beat with the work you did.

So, you basically chopped it down, and bare rooted it within the same spring season. And if I'm counting right, you got 3 flushes of growth over the summer after each time you pruned?

This is basically the same game plan I'm going to be doing this year. I'd also like to nail it to a board, but I see how that could be an issue the first time around.
Yeah, and I also agree with Dave, I almost wish I chopped mine lower...
But I still have to chew away the die back from the first cutback....then I'll be able to really get a better idea for what it looks like, and whether or not I chopped low enough.
Can always re-chop, they grow fast!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice great find sure has a good deal of potentional

I got two way smaller ones to grow out might pick up a couple more to grow out since they are not to be found allot around here

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_20180222_090752.jpg

I cut back the top this morning. Some branches I left unpruned to help heal the cuts below, but I might go back in and shorten some others, they already have some basic ramification happening so I'd hate to start over.

Will be repotted as soon as I can get to it. I got caught off guard and am behind in all my repots.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Started the repot today, but ran out of time to finish. I can't believe how compacted the root system was, totally underestimated how long it would take to comb out.

IMG_20180222_152318.jpg
IMG_20180222_161137.jpg

IMG_20180222_165637.jpg

So I had to stop there, because I had to leave the house to go somewhere, but I want to take it down further. How much more am I safe to go? All the way to a stump underneath?

Attachments

• IMG_20180222_153602.jpg
    IMG_20180222_153602.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 215

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thought I'd post an update on this. So I did end up cutting this back further than what I had originally done. Probably could have cut even further in some places, but you guys were right about not cutting it enough. What sucks is since I didn't do it before bud break, so i had to wait until the first flush hardened off. So what you see here is the 2nd flush this season. Live and learn.

Wired some new shoots into place, into the general direction I want them to go. Can only get better from here.
20180623171542_779A0580.JPG

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This little guy is starting to wake up! I went through and tried to improve taper wherever I could. There were a few areas that I cut back because they were too thick for the location they were on the tree. There were also a bunch of knobs on the tree from where I cut last year and I just went through and cut them down further to get a more seamless transition. There's 1 branch on the lower right where I'm hoping some buds will pop, the tip accidentally broke off, so I cut it back.

The long straight branch going off-screen to the left will probably end up cutting cut off, but not sure yet.

One on the left that is really long with nothing on it until the tips, don't have a clear plan for that one yet.

IMG_20190402_145510.jpg

It looks uglier now, but hopefully it's a set up a little better for good taper. The branch on the lower left, coming forward is another one that is bare until the tip, but it has really good movement, hard to see it in the photo. I probably need to cut that back as well though.

This branch on the back is kind of cool. It curves back in on itself and is starting to dig in, it might even eventually fuse to the trunk there, forming a natural approach graft! It's in a perfect place on the back trunk too if that happens.

IMG_20190402_145553.jpg

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well it was labeled as a Natchez with white flowers, which I was really looking forward to... But guess what, it's not. I got purple flowers, which I'm not a huge fan of, but oh well.

So, I guess we have 2 Purple Cows on here now! @just.wing.it
IMG_20190718_084258.jpg

Last edited:

JefeW

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
At least it wasn’t light pink, the old standard. I only want light pink ones with interesting bark. I like your tree!

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is light pink the standard? I see so many white ones in the landscapes around me, more than any other color.

Top Bottom