Home Depot JBP

Shrimpaku

Seedling
Reaction score
I was checking out from my Home Depot yesterday and I saw a cart with two Japanese Black Pines in it. I think they were being returned because the cart had a lot of misc junk in it. I went to the nursery to check out if there were any more pines, but couldn't find any. Of course, when I returned to the front the cart and the pines were gone.

Anyone see Japanese Black Pines for sale at their Home Depot?

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought one last year and stuck it in the ground. It's trunk is slightly thicker than a pencil. I'm trying to reconcile its slow growth with the photos I've seen in the Pine Bonsai book that shows two year old bonsai with two inch trunks. Yeah, I super fertilize mine, too, but certainly with less success.

Shrimpaku

Seedling
Reaction score
These ones were bigger I would have to say they had a good 1" trunk or more. I will have to dig out my old Bonsai Today magazines; there was a great article about a guy who was growing high-quality Black Pines from seed to selling size in five years. He grew them in nested colanders out of the soil :) Each year he would remove the outer colander and trim any roots that stuck out. Let me see if I can find the article.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These ones were bigger I would have to say they had a good 1" trunk or more. I will have to dig out my old Bonsai Today magazines; there was a great article about a guy who was growing high-quality Black Pines from seed to selling size in five years. He grew them in nested colanders out of the soil :) Each year he would remove the outer colander and trim any roots that stuck out. Let me see if I can find the article.

That article is also found in the Pine Book published by Stone Lantern (which could make a nice Christmas present). Although I don't doubt the author's honesty, I really can't comprehend a tree that could grow this fast. I've got seedlings the same age that are growing in the ground in nice condititions and they're aren't a third as thick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom