Home Depot Pyracantha progress thread - would love some tips

willw86

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I like the last pic in your post from Tuesday at 11:06. That looks very interesting, nice motion and taper, and should largely be doable without a lot of wiring, or ‘clip and grow’. I think the base trunk has a lot of potential, and that 45 degree slant into a 90 degree bend is very cool.
I think you tumbled into a hell of a find for cheap, and that could end up being a very sexy shohin. Take it from me, though...there’s a reason why they call ‘em firethorns. I knocked one off the edge of my bench, and reflexively grabbed to catch it, punching two holes in the fleshy part of my thumb. I used to be into aquariums, and the punctures were reminiscent of when I got stung by a fuzzy dwarf lionfish while cleaning a reef tank.
Yes, I was so excited about the trunk. And I learned the hard way why they are named firethorn. The poking doesn't bother me way too much as I've always had a high pain tolerance. The bad part is my hand is COVERED in a rash, similar to poison ivy. It is mostly between my fingers which is super annoying. Luckily I had some calamine lotion. Next time I will be wearing latex and leather gloves to prevent this.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When you get stung like that, covering the site with plain toothpaste will help, but probably the best is three parts baking soda and one part water. At least that was what worked best for the dwarf lionfish puncture. After either of those turns into a dry crust and falls off, an OTC cortisone cream is the way to go.
Pyracantha and their relatives grow new shoots from the base of the thorn, and it’s true that if you prune them all the way back to the branch they won’t do that. You can, though, clip the points of the thorns to blunt them without retarding future growth.

Reaction score
Good advice given to me here. Fun species if you can grasp the growing habit.

Photo of tree from nursery when I chose it...
View attachment 214446

Two years on the bench...fun material for sure! As for the thorns...snip them bad puppies off.
View attachment 214447
But the thorns are part of its characteristic. :0

Reaction score
Also, not sure if it was mentioned or not, but they air layer (and root from cuttings) very easily. So you can make a lot of plants out of this one. :)

Reaction score
When I wire, I nip them...trust me, they'll grow back. Lol
True. One of the places I work for has a hedge of firethorn. I'll be taking some cuttings this winter / airlauering in the spring. Years of pruning (and a chainlink fence down the center) has created some beautiful gnarled pieces.

willw86

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
When you get stung like that, covering the site with plain toothpaste will help, but probably the best is three parts baking soda and one part water. At least that was what worked best for the dwarf lionfish puncture. After either of those turns into a dry crust and falls off, an OTC cortisone cream is the way to go.
Pyracantha and their relatives grow new shoots from the base of the thorn, and it’s true that if you prune them all the way back to the branch they won’t do that. You can, though, clip the points of the thorns to blunt them without retarding future growth.
I've always used a dab of Clorox bleach for poison ivy, a trick I learned working at summer camp. Works like a charm, but probably not approved by the AMA. Just used calamine lotion on this rash. It's been a week since I got it and it has mostly subsided, but I still have some unsightly red scabs. I have learned my lesson.

willw86

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Also, not sure if it was mentioned or not, but they air layer (and root from cuttings) very easily. So you can make a lot of plants out of this one. :)
Thanks BR, it was mentioned but I am glad to hear a consensus. A couple of the larger branches/trunks I will be removing have beautiful movement in their own right, so hopefully I can get a couple nice little trees from this one.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Picked up 4 of these bad Larry's at home deeps a couple weeks ago. Excellent movement much like yours. Im pretty excited for spring
Post some pics, show us what you do with them. Now that temps are getting better and things are growing down here I've just taken some fresh Pyracantha cuttings to root.

willw86

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This tree is currently residing in Matt O's greenhouse; I do some work for him and he babysits a bunch of my stuff and teaches me about bonsai. Don't think I'll get down there this weekend but next. Lots of bonsai stuff in the works right now. Haven't been active on here but will post some cool stuff soon.

@Soldano666 would love to see yours as well. Btw, I have been eyeing up your pots on the auction pages, amazing stuff man.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Soon guys... Stuff up here in the north east hasn't quite started moving yet. Soon tho. I think I'll prob plant 2 or three out and work the other one or two into small trees

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I want to say I'vee heard of pyracantha being propagated from root cuttings as well. I could be mistaken but I reckon I'll try some of these too.

Top Bottom