Home Depot Wisteria

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Wisteria macrostachya 'Blue Moon' is a nice select cultivar of the native to Kentucky wisteria species. It has nice fragrant flowers and often reblooms sometime later in summer after the main flush of flowers in spring. It needs to be quite a bit larger trunk diameter to get to blooming size. Let it grow out long runners, then late winter, prune it back to shape. Yearly pruning back to shape. They love water in summer. If you are having trouble keeping up, you can sit it in a shallow tray of water, just for the heat of summer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wisteria macrostachya 'Blue Moon' is a nice select cultivar of the native to Kentucky wisteria species. It has nice fragrant flowers and often reblooms sometime later in summer after the main flush of flowers in spring. It needs to be quite a bit larger trunk diameter to get to blooming size. Let it grow out long runners, then late winter, prune it back to shape. Yearly pruning back to shape. They love water in summer. If you are having trouble keeping up, you can sit it in a shallow tray of water, just for the heat of summer.
Thanks for all the advice on all these different types of trees I've been posting. Its appreciated. So for me probably Feb March pruning then?

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice find! My local Home Depot doesn't stock Wisteria unfortunately; I really wanted to try one out. Are you planning on cutting back really hard to build taper? I would have thought that wiring it while it was still flexible would have been the best idea if you're going for an informal upright style.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For now I'm mostly letting it grow and thicken with it lightly supported by that wire lattice. Going to remove the lattice and put back in a grow pot in spring though I think. When you first start you want to get everything in real pots I have now learned to just grow stuff first. Here is an inspiration pic though of where I'd like it to go with only 2 main trunks though I stead of like 4 that this has.download.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice find! My local Home Depot doesn't stock Wisteria unfortunately; I really wanted to try one out. Are you planning on cutting back really hard to build taper? I would have thought that wiring it while it was still flexible would have been the best idea if you're going for an informal upright style.
I cut it back every fall some. The trunks are surprisingly still pretty flexible even though they are starting to get thin bark so I think I will still be able to style some in the future.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Do use wire to get movement, or bending and twisting in the first 6 inches of those trunks. It is the contorted shapes wisteria can take that make it interesting when not in bloom. Or if you don't use wire, you will have to chop it low at some point, and I mean at 4 inches tall if you want any changes in direction of those now fairly straight trunks.

Get wire in there now, you will be much, much happier later. Dead arrow straight is not a good look for wisteria. Right now it will be easy. Wait and it will require chopping that will take forever to grow out.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Took everyone's advice and wired the tree. Also pruned and slip potted it while I was at it into a bigger pot one year and it was already pushing itself out of the small pot I put it in. This is only the 2nd maybe 3rd time I've wired anything turned out well but will probably need adjustment. I had to wire the thinner second trunk to the main one because it was too flexible to support the weight of the wire.20210725_103533.jpg

Top Bottom