Home made bonsai bench

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Look at what I made! It might not be the most perfect bench ever built but I’m pretty proud. Now I have a legit bonsai work station!!! Now I just need to stain it before I put it outside in the spring.

Attachments

• 2DA527AB-DD69-4695-ACAE-B46E976828F2.jpeg
    2DA527AB-DD69-4695-ACAE-B46E976828F2.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 856119A4-C961-449C-A65F-9B7B8EDB9EAF.jpeg
    856119A4-C961-449C-A65F-9B7B8EDB9EAF.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 9B291C54-AB42-4BD7-A473-63DCD2AD17CD.jpeg
    9B291C54-AB42-4BD7-A473-63DCD2AD17CD.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 219
Reaction score
Great job!! You might have to build another for outside because this looks too perfect

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice bench! What are you going to stain it with?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice bench. I will be starting a project in March that I will incorporate a slate style workbench into. I really like the form / function of the way you did it.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice job.

Reaction score
I knocked this up recently from old decking and wood I salvaged

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 210

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I knocked this up recently from old decking and wood I salvaged
This is similair to what I am planning. Two stands like this with a plank style bench between them. About 14 to 18 feet overall.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pick a size then double it.

Reaction score
This is similair to what I am planning. Two stands like this with a plank style bench between them. About 14 to 18 feet overall.
I’m pretty happy with this size and for me it’s holds about all the trees I have time to take care of. I’d recommend 2 levels

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Look at what I made! It might not be the most perfect bench ever built but I’m pretty proud. Now I have a legit bonsai work station!!! Now I just need to stain it before I put it outside in the spring.

Nice bench! From what i can see looks like you used construction grade lumber. If you do plan to put this bench out in the elements i highly recommend you seal the endgrain on the bottom of the legs. If not they will wick up moisture from the ground and cause your bench legs to rot prematurely.

D

Deleted member 21616

nice work! I like your choice of setting the lats at the same height of your front and back brace, as opposed to laying the lats on top of of a frame (your top will surely last longer than mine!)

here is a quick pic of mine. I recommend a brace along the bottom (and in the back, why not) to prevent it from folding like a 'Z' on you.

is each vertical leg being held to the top with single screw? if so, that will turn into a pivoting-axis on you in no time, i.e it will fold like 'Z' on you. Don't rely on the side braces of the top to prevent that pivoting. screws are cheap

Attachments

• IMG_9278.JPG
    IMG_9278.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 139
D

Deleted member 21616

That would be called "racking".

haha thanks!! That's great to know!

I'm no expert, but was speaking from tragic experience when my first backyard dining table flung my tray of burgers across the yard :cool:

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@derek7745 - I like how your bench looks. Just a question was there any particular reason why you didn't make the shelf on the bottom the complete width of the bench? I would think if it was shorter you could actually use the right side as a working bench with a chair for maintenance. I plan to build a bench this spring, just getting ideas from the benches that I see posted here.

D

Deleted member 21616

@derek7745any particular reason why you didn't make the shelf on the bottom the complete width of the bench?

haha, those 7 trees you see were use to make this look pretty. I have about 30-40 trees piled up on this thing, including big ones placed on the floor.

@derek7745 I would think if it was shorter you could actually use the right side as a working bench with a chair for maintenance.

It's kitchen counter height. But i only use this stand for 'display'. I have a solid table with generous space only 10 feet away that i bring my trees to when I need to work on them.

You may have also noticed that the center-column is not centered. The bench was symmetrical, when it was out in full sun. I soon realized that full sun was not ideal for some of my maples, so i moved the bench to this place up against my shed (where they do not receive much afternoon sun). I had to short the bench so that the door of my shed would open :)

I am planning something very different for this summer or the next, along the lines of a pergola so that the trees get dappled sun/shade from sun rise to sun set (as opposed to full morning sun and no afternoon sun)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If not they will wick up moisture from the ground and cause your bench legs to rot prematurely.

Alternative option: I put some heavy duty stainless steel bolts in the bottom of the legs, pushing the legs half an inch off the ground. Indeed, as a moisture barrier.

Top Bottom