Homemade fungicide / pesticide

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Have anyone tried with homemade fungicides or pesticides?
Example:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Baking soda can come in two forms: Sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate.
The sodium bicarbonate can - and probably will - damage your trees. On gardening forums this was a HUGE issue in 2018/2019 due to some published articles that didn't specify which type of baking soda should be used. Leafs turning orange and wilting was a common sight, they all got sodium poisoning, salt stress. As if they've been given sea water.

Vegetable oil can suffocate insect eggs and scare some insects away. But I do not agree with this guys reasoning at all about all the rest. I think he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about and is just regurgitating information found on the internet. I think this because the sodium isn't mentioned at all and most people who have actually tried it would have noticed the effects, he talks about harsh chemicals in regular detergents but I think he hasn't read any labels to notice that most of them are not that different, he talks about the oil destroying the foliage - it screws up the cuticle wax but the most damaging part is the detergent, he talks about the oil helping the carbonated water stick the foliage which oil just doesn't do in a micelle form.. That's what the detergent does as a surfactant.

Guys like this have given me hours of patching-up work for the last two years. So I can't say I'm a big fan of those methods and the people recommending it. While I do believe the methods can be applied effectively, I rarely see the much needed cautions being mentioned.
If you have a close look at his videos, you'll see that most of his plants don't look particularly healthy. I wonder why that is.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, this is a place of learning. In spite of the fact that I already know everything there is to know and the rest of you have nothing to offer.;)

I personally learn much by accident here. It's like learning how to sword-fight just by watching bloody matches...😳

Top Bottom